Bringing Live Animals and Germplasm into the United States From Another Country (Import)

Last Modified: Junio 03, 2024

APHIS regulates the import of specific live animals and germplasm (semen, oocytes, embryos, and cloning tissue) into the United States to prevent the spread of animal diseases. These regulations apply to many species of animals, but not all. Read on to learn how to bring live animals and their germplasm into the United States and the species of animals APHIS regulates. 

If you're looking for information about traveling with a pet, visit Pet Travel.

Visit Pet Travel

Note: For import purposes, livestock (including cows, goats, potbellied pigs, and other species) and poultry (including chickens) are not considered pets. Refer to the live animal requirements below to bring any livestock or poultry into the United States.

Import and Transit Requirements by Species for Live Animals and Germplasm

If the animal species or commodity you want to import is not listed below, it may not fall under APHIS Veterinary Services (VS) regulations, and you may not need a VS permit. However, you may still need a permit from another Federal agency like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It is the importer’s responsibility to comply with the requirements of all regulatory agencies.

Resources for Importers

Need Help?

Live Animal Import Permit Team

Contact APHIS' Live Animal Import Permit team if you have questions before you apply for a permit.

For questions about import permits or permit applications:

Live Animal Import Permit Team

APHIS Port Services

For questions about import inspections at a port of entry, quarantine of animals arriving from a foreign country, or requesting approval as a private animal import quarantine facility, contact APHIS Port Services.

Live Animal Import and Export

Contact APHIS' Live Animal Import and Export team for questions about current trade restrictions, or other questions not related to permits.

For general questions related to the import of a live animal:

Live Animal Import and Export