Importing Cervids (Farmed, Semen and Embryos) into the United States

Last Modified: April 02, 2024

USDA APHIS regulates the importation of all ruminants and their germplasm (embryos/oocytes, semen, cloning tissue) to prevent the spread of animal diseases. Ruminants include all animals which chew the cud, such as cattle, buffaloes, sheep, goats, deer, antelopes, camels, llamas and giraffes.

View Countries From Which Cervids and Their Germplasm May Be Imported



* Potential importers of Canadian-origin cervids into the United States should request that the exporter consult with their local district CFIA office prior to initiating any export related processes/testing, to confirm herd/animal eligibility for export.

Australia (protocol is being updated); a permit and export health certificate are required.


  • A permit is not required to import cervid semen from Canada transported by land; an export health certificate must accompany the shipment and the port of entry into the United States must be notified at least three days in advance.

New Zealand (protocol is being updated)

Australia (protocol is being updated); a permit and export health certificate are required

New Zealand (protocol is being updated)

What You Need To Know

  • U.S. transits are classified as shipments presented to a U.S. port of entry for conveyance purposes to then be transported to a destination country shortly after. Notice Regarding APHIS Live Animal Import and Third-Country Import Transit Permits (272.29 KB).
  • Please note that any animals and their germplasm transiting the United States must not transit countries with questionable disease statuses prior to reaching a U.S. port of entry.
  • All transits require a contingency plan. Please submit your contingency plan with your permit application (VS 17-129) to To submit an import permit electronically, visit APHIS eFile.

If you are applying to import live animals, semen, and embryos, you may submit applications by email to

Contact Us

Live Animal Imports

For questions about import permits or permit applications:

Live Animal Import Permit Team

For general questions related to the import of a live animal:

Live Animal Import and Export