Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

APHIS Pet Travel

When travelling with your pet(s), there may be animal health requirements specific for that destination. As soon as you know your travel details, contact your local veterinarian to assist with the pet travel process. Factors to consider may include meeting time frames for obtaining a health certificate, updating vaccinations, diagnostic testing, or administration of medications/ treatments.

Take your pet from the United States to a foreign country (Export)

Your destination country may have specific health requirements that must be met before your pet can enter the country. Since export requirements are determined by each country and can change frequently, every time you plan pet travel you will need to verify the export requirements. Please note that airlines may have separate and additional requirements. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they may have, if any.

The process for taking a pet bird or other exotic animal out of the United States may involve multiple agencies including USDA APHIS Veterinary Services (VS), and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS). It is critical that you meet ALL requirements for each of these agencies prior to export.

Airlines and shipping lines establish their own policies to transport pets in addition to the requirements of the federal, state, and local governments. Check with your airline or ship representative to determine what requirements they may have.

Select your destination country from drop-down menu below to view their current pet travel health requirements:

Choose your destination country.

(If your country is not listed, click here.)

Visit our Country Acceptance List for VEHCS to find out if the country of destination for your animal/pet export allows you obtain your health certificate online.

Visit our History of Requirement Updates for Live Animal Exports, including Pet Travel, to view live animal export regulation updates.

Bring your pet into the United States from a foreign country (Import)

Animals entering the U.S. may be subject to regulation by USDA APHIS as well as other federal agencies.  Depending on your destination state, your pet may need to also meet additional health requirements.

Choose an animal.

If the type of animal you are traveling with is not listed, click here.

Travel with your pet state to state (Interstate)

To learn the requirements for moving your pet from your current location to another U.S. state, please select your destination state from the list below. If you have additional questions or need to determine what type of form will be accepted when the pet travels, please contact the State Veterinarian’s office in the destination state.

Choose your destination state.

Complementary Content