Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Animal and Animal Product Export Information

Export a Live Animal (includes semen, embryos...) or Animal Product - International health certificates for the export of animals from the United States are completed by an accredited veterinarian who certifies herd and animal health status, conducts tests, and records test results for the individual animals being exported. Complete and signed international health certificates for the export of animals from the United States must be endorsed by a Veterinary Services area office in order to be valid.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Veterinary Services (VS) has created the International Animal Product Export Regulations (IREGS) to provide exporters with our best understanding of importing countries requirements for certain animal-origin products.

Export Requirements for...

Live Animal - Export requirements frequently change, obtain the current export requirements from the Veterinary Services service center in your area before each shipment.

- APHIS is one of three Federal agencies that you will encounter as you travel with your pet. Learn More

Electronic Certificate (VEHCS) Acceptance by Destination Countries 
- Find out if the country of destination for your animal export allows you obtain your health certificate online.

Animal Products - Zoo sanitary (animal health) product certificates endorsed by APHIS are sometimes required by the importing country for exported products. The exporter should obtain any required certificates prior to shipping any product.

Biologics - View the process for obtaining an export permit for biologics.

Country Disease Status - US status for animal diseases as reported to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).

Complementary Content