Pet travel from the United States to Dominican Republic

Last Modified: March 26, 2024

Welcome! This page will guide you through the rules and requirements for traveling internationally with your pet.

Before You Start the Process

Find a USDA-Accredited Veterinarian

With help from a USDA-accredited veterinarian, you can learn more about your destination country's entry requirements for pets, including any needed vaccinations, tests, or treatments. We recommend creating a schedule to make sure you meet all requirements within the specified timeframe.

Gather This Information for Your USDA-Accredited Veterinarian

  • The type of pet traveling
  • The destination country
  • If applicable, countries where your pet will stop (for customs clearance or upon leaving the airport or seaport) on the way to the destination country
  • The date of departure from the United States
  • Whether the pet will be traveling alone, as cargo, or with a person in the cabin of the plane
  • Note: If you're traveling with a pet bird or exotic animal, you may need to work with additional agencies, such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (1.41 MB) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Read These Resources

Travel Requirements Based on Pet Type

Note: If the animal is of age (12 weeks) to be eligible for a rabies vaccine, it must be vaccinated, and 30 days must have elapsed prior to travel. Statement #3 applies to animals which are not old enough to be vaccinated at the time of export (they are less than 12 weeks of age at time of export).

The requirements for traveling with your pet are described in the health certificate. 

International Health Certificate (174.38 KB)

An Import Permit is required to bring your pet bird(s) into the Dominican Republic.

For more information or to obtain an import permit, please contact:

For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommend that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information.

Country of Destination Contact Information

World Organisation for Animal Health: Members

U.S. Department of State: Foreign Embassies and Consulates

Important Travel Considerations

If you are transiting (passing through) the European Union:

If your pet is traveling through (transiting) a country in the European Union (EU) on the way to a third, non-EU country, you will also need a transit health certificate for your pet for the EU. The transit health certificate will be the same as if your pet’s final destination was the EU country. Use the information and steps above under “Travel Requirements Based on Pet Type” to determine which health certificate should be used. View a list of EU countries.

Considerations for airline travel:

Airlines and shipping lines have their own policies and requirements for transporting pets. Check with your airline or shipping representative to determine what requirements they may have.

View additional information for pet owners, airlines, and others about APHIS endorsement of international health certificates.

Will you be returning to the United States with your pet?

View the Requirements

ALERT: Read the CDC Notice of Temporary Suspension of Dogs Entering the United States From Countries Classified as High Risk for Dog Rabies.


Information for Accredited Veterinarians

Green Banner Country

For Accredited Veterinarians: Electronic signature ACCEPTED

For APHIS VMO: Digital endorsement ACCEPTED

eauth logo

Save Time and Money With VEHCS!

USDA-accredited veterinarians can submit health certificates for electronic signature through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).