Pet Travel From the United States to Canada

Last Modified: June 05, 2024

Green Banner Country

For Accredited Veterinarians: Electronic signature ACCEPTED

For APHIS VMO: Digital endorsement ACCEPTED

eauth logo

Save Time and Money With VEHCS!

USDA-accredited veterinarians can submit health certificates for electronic signature through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).

Travel Requirements Based on Pet Type

Carefully read ALL of the requirements related to your pet on this page.

  • This page provides the most recent entry requirements and can change without notice.
  • It is the responsibility of the veterinarian to make sure the pet has met all health requirements of the destination country before issuing a health certificate.
  • Failure to meet the requirements may result in problems gaining certificate endorsement or difficulties upon arrival in the destination country.
  • Health certificates must be legible, accurate, and complete.

Pet dogs OLDER than 8 months do NOT require any health certificate.

  • Proof of rabies vaccination is all that is required for dogs in the following categories:
    • any dog greater than 8 months of age
    • assistance animals certified as guide, hearing or service dogs, if the person accompanying the dog to Canada is the user of the dog
    • two or less pet dogs accompanied by their owner to Canada
    • any dog exported on a temporary basis for competition in a show or trial, if at the time of importation proof of entry in a show or trial is provided.
  • Rabies vaccination certificate as proof of rabies vaccination
    • Required for all dogs greater than 3 months of age (with the exception of assistance dogs certified as a guide, hearing or service dogs which accompany their user into Canada)
    • Issued by licensed vet, proving vaccination within 3 years of importation into Canada.
    • Proof of rabies vaccination by documenting on a health certificate, if a health certificate is required.

Learn more about traveling with your dog from the U.S. to Canada

Pet dogs YOUNGER than 8 months old MAY require a health certificate from a licensed veterinarian in the United States. Please see below for more information:

The below information applies to non-commercial shipments of privately owned pets only. If you are shipping pets for commercial purposes, please view the requirements on Canada’s page of APHIS’ International Regulations (IRegs) website.

Unaccompanied dogs (puppies not traveling with their owner):

  • Shipments of 1-2 dogs less than 8 months of age which travel unaccompanied are required to be examined and have a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian within 72 hours of arrival in Canada.
  • The full travel requirements are described in the provided health certificate*. This certificate does not need to be endorsed by APHIS.

Health Certificate (63.24 KB)

Accompanied dogs (puppies traveling with their owner):

  • Shipments of 1-2 dogs less than 8 months of age traveling with their owner are only required to travel with proof of current rabies vaccination*. 

*Dogs younger than three months old are not required to be vaccinated for rabies but proof of the dog’s age must be available to Canadian Officials. All dogs greater than 3 months of age, with the exception of assistance dogs certified as a guide, hearing or service dogs which accompany their user into Canada, must have proof of current rabies vaccination to travel to Canada.

Learn more about traveling with your dog from the U.S. to Canada

Pet cats do NOT require any health certificate

  • Rabies vaccination certificate - issued by licensed veterinarian, proving vaccination within 3 years of importation into Canada
    • Kittens under 3 months of age exempt from rabies vaccination
    • Date of vaccination and the type of vaccine must be on the vaccination certificate

Learn more about traveling with your cat from the U.S. to Canada.

The requirements for traveling with your pet are described in the health certificate. If submission will be via the Veterinary Export Health Certificate System (VEHCS), you may navigate directly to VEHCS without downloading this PDF.

Health Certificate (219.38 KB) - April 2024

Pet ferrets do NOT require any health certificate.

Ferrets over 3 months of age should have received a rabies vaccination within the 12 months prior to travel to Canada. 

Rabies vaccinated ferrets should travel with a rabies vaccination certificate documenting the pet’s most recent rabies vaccination. The vaccination certificate should clearly identify your pet and must minimally include its sex, age, and breed. The rabies vaccination certificate must be signed by a licensed veterinarian of the United States.

Additional Information
Any ferret over 3 months of age traveling without proof of rabies vaccination can be immediately vaccinated upon arrival in Canada at a veterinary clinic without quarantine.

More information about pets can be found on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency web site. For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommended that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information. 

Country of destination contact information:

Important Travel Considerations

Considerations for airline travel and cruises:

Airlines and shipping lines have their own policies and requirements for transporting pets. Check with your airline or shipping representative to determine what requirements they may have.

Learn how you can improve the safety of dogs and cats during air travel.

View additional information for pet owners, airlines, and others about APHIS endorsement of international health certificates.

If pets or support animals accompany you on a cruise, you must comply with entry rules for every country or port where your pet or support animal exits the ship.

Will you be returning to the United States with your pet?

View the Requirements

ALERT: Read the CDC Notice of Temporary Suspension of Dogs Entering the United States From Countries Classified as High Risk for Dog Rabies.

If you are transiting (passing through) the European Union:

If your pet is traveling through (transiting) a country in the European Union (EU) on the way to a third, non-EU country, you will also need a transit health certificate for your pet for the EU. The transit health certificate will be the same as if your pet’s final destination was the EU country. Use the information and steps above under “Travel Requirements Based on Pet Type” to determine which health certificate should be used. View a list of EU countries.

Need Help?

Still Have Questions?

USDA-Accredited Veterinarians

Contact a USDA-accredited veterinarian for questions about your destination country's entry requirements for pets (including any needed vaccinations, tests, or treatments) and for issuance of health certificates.

Find a USDA-Accredited Veterinarian

USDA Endorsement Offices

Contact your nearest APHIS Veterinary Export Trade Services Endorsement Office for questions about endorsing a health certificate for pets. 

Looking for Another Country?

Find your destination country requirements by using the dropdown menu below. If your country is not listed in the menu, visit Pet Travel: Unknown Requirements.