Skip to main content

Pet travel from the U.S. to Korea


USDA Accredited Veterinarian Signature Electronic Signature Accepted
APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer Signature Original Ink

Details: USDA Accredited Veterinarians may issue health certificates electronically through the online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS). Health certificates must then be printed and require the APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer’s original signature with the application of the APHIS embossed seal.

NOTE: A printed paper copy of the completed health certificate must accompany each shipment.

New and Returning Users, Access VEHCS HERE

Need Help? Click HERE to view step-by-step guides for using VEHCS, or contact the dedicated VEHCS Help Line

Rabies vaccines and tests

Rabies vaccines must be current and given prior to arrival in Korea. Rabies vaccine is not required for pets under 90 days old.

A rabies-neutralization antibody test (0.5 IU/ml or higher) must be completed*.  A rabies-neutralization test is not required for pets under 90 days old.


The pet(s) must have an ISO-compliant microchip*

Health Certificate

The pet(s) must be accompanied by a valid health certificate issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian and endorsed by USDA.

International Health Certificate for Dogs and Cats

* If the rabies neutralization antibody test and/or the microchip implantation could not be done prior to shipping (or the test is more than 24 months of departure), they can be done after arrival in Korea.

However, even in this case, a valid USDA endorsed health certificate is required.  Animals that have not been microchipped and/or had a rabies-neutralization antibody test performed will likely be held in quarantine at the owner’s expense until any procedures or lab tests have been completed.  Please contact South Korea using the link below for confirmation and additional information.

Bringing Dogs and Cats to Korea (Quarantine Inspection Website)

For military personnel traveling under official orders, you can find additional information at:

* This health certificate may only be used for personal pet birds that are traveling with an owner/agent.

* If the bird is intended for commercial purposes upon arrival  OR is traveling via cargo, you must use the commercial pet bird health certificate found here

International Health Certificate for Birds

For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommended that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information.

Country of destination contact information:  

Considerations for airline travel:

Airlines may have separate and additional requirements. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they may have, if any. 

Additional information for pet owners, airlines, and others about APHIS endorsement of international health certificates.

View requirements for returning to the US with your pet

Complementary Content