Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Pet travel from the U.S. to Hong Kong

This country allows USDA Accredited Veterinarians to use USDA’s online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS) to complete health certificates.

Save Time and Money!
USDA Accredited Veterinarian Signature Electronic Signature Accepted
USDA APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer Signature Digital Endorsement NOT Accepted
The health certificate bears the original ink signature and embossed seal
Before going to VEHCS: Scroll below this banner to view animal-specific requirements.

To process some health certificates, VEHCS may need the USDA Accredited Veterinarian to upload the completed fillable PDF version found below. Either save a copy of the PDF below, or return to this page for the health certificate, if prompted by VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, log in here if you wish to use VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, help with using VEHCS is available on the VEHCS Help Page. To walk yourself through issuing a health certificate in VEHCS, click here.
NOTE:The printed paper endorsed health certificate must accompany each shipment. You can arrange to have your endorsed health certificate returned via pick-up or by mail (a pre-paid, pre-addressed return label must be provided during certificate submission).

For all health certificates submitted through VEHCS for shipments of U.S. origin animals and germplasm that are only transiting Hong Kong, select the Hong Kong (Transit) option from the “Country of Destination” drop down menu. 

For animals and germplasm that are destined for export to Hong Kong, first you must first select Country Not Listed from “Country of Destination” drop down menu, then select Hong Kong from the full list of destination countries.

All health certificates for non-commercial shipments (i.e., pets) of small animals (excluding dogs, cats, chinchillas, and birds) do not need to be endorsed by an APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer if it has been issued by a private USDA Accredited Veterinarian. Health certificates must be issued within 14 days of departure.

APHIS endorsement of the health certificates for pet dogs, cats, chinchillas, and birds is required after it has been issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian within 14 days of departure.

***NOTE: Effective January 18, 2022, the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department of Hong Kong has temporarily suspended the import of commercial (non-pet) rodents and lagomorphs from all countries.***

Hong Kong has provided a website that contains helpful information related to pet travel.  Please note an import permit is required prior to travel to Hong Kong. You will need to review these sites carefully as well as all information included in the import permit to ensure that all of the requirements for Hong Kong are met. 

Overview of Hong Kong's travel requirements and import permit application process

APHIS endorsement of the health certificate is required after it has been issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian.

Health Certificates

For animals traveling from the continental U.S. For animals traveling from Hawaii ONLY

Additional information for pets originating from Hawaii:

(1) Pets that originate from Hawaii but are being located in the continental US prior to export are required to use the health certificate associated with the continental US.
(2) Animals that are transiting the continental US from Hawaii, i.e. changing planes and not exiting the plane/cargo area, may continue to use the requirements for Hawaii.

In both cases, the owner/agent must contact AFCD for further information prior to any travel arrangements, as additional dispensation +/- certification/declaration may be required to allow for the pet to enter Hong Kong.

Health Certificate for Pet Chinchillas

Health certificates for U.S. origin pet chinchillas to Hong Kong must be signed by the animal’s owner in Part A, issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian (referred to as the “official / registered veterinary surgeon”) in Part B, and endorsed by an APHIS Veterinarian (the “full time Government Veterinary Officer”) in Part C, within 14 days of departure. 

All statements in Parts B and C must be true, and pet chinchillas for export must be captive-bred and over 12 weeks of age at the time of departure. 

For export of other pet rodents, please visit Hong Kong's Web-site to learn more about importing these pets.

Visit Hong Kong's Web-site to learn more about importing these pets;

Pet animals (excluding dogs and cats) may be sent on the health certificate provided by Hong Kong's Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department (AFCD) or an APHIS Form 7001 health certificate that includes the stated requirements for the appropriate species as listed on the AFCD website and import permit.

APHIS endorsement of the health certificates for pet birds is required after it has been issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian within 14 days of departure

Visit Hong Kong's web-site to learn more about importing pet birds.

For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommended that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information.

Country of destination contact information:  

Considerations for airline travel:

Airlines may have separate and additional requirements. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they may have, if any. 

Additional information for pet owners, airlines, and others about APHIS endorsement of international health certificates.

View requirements for returning to the US with your pet

Complementary Content