Pet travel from the United States to Hong Kong

Last Modified: May 06, 2024

Welcome! This page will guide you through the rules and requirements for traveling internationally with your pet.

Before You Start the Process

Find a USDA-Accredited Veterinarian

With help from a USDA-accredited veterinarian, you can learn more about your destination country's entry requirements for pets, including any needed vaccinations, tests, or treatments. We recommend creating a schedule to make sure you meet all requirements within the specified timeframe.

Gather This Information for Your USDA-Accredited Veterinarian

  • The type of pet traveling
  • The destination country
  • If applicable, countries where your pet will stop (for customs clearance or upon leaving the airport or seaport) on the way to the destination country
  • The date of departure from the United States
  • Whether the pet will be traveling alone, as cargo, or with a person in the cabin of the plane
  • Note: If you're traveling with a pet bird or exotic animal, you may need to work with additional agencies, such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (1.41 MB) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Read These Resources

Travel Requirements Based on Pet Type

For all health certificates submitted through VEHCS for shipments of U.S. origin animals and germplasm that are only transiting Hong Kong, select the Hong Kong (Transit) option from the “Country of Destination” drop down menu. 

For animals and germplasm that are destined for export to Hong Kong, first you must first select Country Not Listed from “Country of Destination” drop down menu, then select Hong Kong from the full list of destination countries.

All health certificates for non-commercial shipments (i.e., pets) of small animals (excluding dogs, cats, chinchillas, and birds) do not need to be endorsed by an APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer if it has been issued by a private USDA Accredited Veterinarian. Health certificates must be issued within 14 days of departure.

APHIS endorsement of the health certificates for pet dogs, cats, chinchillas, and birds is required after it has been issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian within 14 days of departure.

Effective January 18, 2022, the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department of Hong Kong has temporarily suspended the import of commercial (non-pet) rodents and lagomorphs from all countries.

Hong Kong has provided a website that contains helpful information related to pet travel.  Please note an import permit is required prior to travel to Hong Kong. You will need to review these sites carefully as well as all information included in the import permit to ensure that all of the requirements for Hong Kong are met. 

Overview of Hong Kong's travel requirements and import permit application process

APHIS endorsement of the health certificate is required after it has been issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian.

Health Certificates

For animals traveling from the continental U.S. (71.58 KB)  (71.58 KB) 

For animals traveling from Hawaii ONLY (42.69 KB)

Additional information for pets originating from Hawaii:

  1. Pets that originate from Hawaii but are being located in the continental US prior to export are required to use the health certificate associated with the continental US.
  2. Animals that are transiting the continental US from Hawaii, i.e. changing planes and not exiting the plane/cargo area, may continue to use the requirements for Hawaii.

In both cases, the owner/agent must contact AFCD for further information prior to any travel arrangements, as additional dispensation +/- certification/declaration may be required to allow for the pet to enter Hong Kong.

Health certificates for U.S. origin pet chinchillas to Hong Kong must be signed by the animal’s owner in Part A, issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian (referred to as the “official / registered veterinary surgeon”) in Part B, and endorsed by an APHIS Veterinarian (the “full time Government Veterinary Officer”) in Part C, within 14 days of departure. 

All statements in Parts B and C must be true, and pet chinchillas for export must be captive-bred and over 12 weeks of age at the time of departure. 

For export of other pet rodents, please visit Hong Kong's Web-site to learn more about importing these pets.

International Health Certificate (348.69 KB)

Visit Hong Kong's Web-site to learn more about importing these pets;

Pet animals (excluding dogs and cats) may be sent on the health certificate provided by Hong Kong's Agriculture, Fisheries, and Conservation Department (AFCD) or an APHIS Form 7001 health certificate (438.86 KB) that includes the stated requirements for the appropriate species as listed on the AFCD website and import permit.

APHIS endorsement of the health certificates for pet birds is required after it has been issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian within 14 days of departure

Visit Hong Kong's web-site to learn more about importing pet birds.

For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommend that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information.

Country of Destination Contact Information

World Organisation for Animal Health: Members

U.S. Department of State: Foreign Embassies and Consulates

Important Travel Considerations

If you are transiting (passing through) the European Union:

If your pet is traveling through (transiting) a country in the European Union (EU) on the way to a third, non-EU country, you will also need a transit health certificate for your pet for the EU. The transit health certificate will be the same as if your pet’s final destination was the EU country. Use the information and steps above under “Travel Requirements Based on Pet Type” to determine which health certificate should be used. View a list of EU countries.

Considerations for airline travel:

Airlines and shipping lines have their own policies and requirements for transporting pets. Check with your airline or shipping representative to determine what requirements they may have.

View additional information for pet owners, airlines, and others about APHIS endorsement of international health certificates.

Will you be returning to the United States with your pet?

View the Requirements

ALERT: Read the CDC Notice of Temporary Suspension of Dogs Entering the United States From Countries Classified as High Risk for Dog Rabies.


Information for Accredited Veterinarians

Orange Banner Country

For Accredited Veterinarians: Electronic signature ACCEPTED

For APHIS VMO: Original ink endorsement REQUIRED

eauth logo

Save Time and Money With VEHCS!

USDA-accredited veterinarians can submit health certificates for electronic signature through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).