Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture

USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Pet travel from the U.S. to Ukraine

This country allows USDA Accredited Veterinarians to use USDA’s online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS) to complete health certificates.

Save Time and Money!
USDA Accredited Veterinarian Signature Electronic Signature Accepted
USDA APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer Signature Digital Endorsement NOT Accepted
The health certificate bears the original ink signature and embossed seal
Before going to VEHCS: Scroll below this banner to view animal-specific requirements.

To process some health certificates, VEHCS may need the USDA Accredited Veterinarian to upload the completed fillable PDF version found below. Either save a copy of the PDF below, or return to this page for the health certificate, if prompted by VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, log in here if you wish to use VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, help with using VEHCS is available on the VEHCS Help Page. To walk yourself through issuing a health certificate in VEHCS, click here.
NOTE:The printed paper endorsed health certificate must accompany each shipment. You can arrange to have your endorsed health certificate returned via pick-up or by mail (a pre-paid, pre-addressed return label must be provided during certificate submission).

For non-commercial movement (personal pets) of dogs and cats from the United States to Ukraine: 

  • A health certificate issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian and endorsed by APHIS must accompany U.S. pets (dogs, cats, ferrets). 
  • Pets must be identified with a microchip or a clear tattoo (provided the tattoo was applied prior to July 3, 2011). The microchip must be ISO compliant.  
  • Pets under 12 weeks of age must not be vaccinated against rabies.  
  • Pets over 12 weeks of age must be current on rabies vaccinations and have a current rabies titer test: 
    • Ukraine will accept a 3-year rabies vaccine, licensed for use in the United States. “Validity of vaccination” dates (i.e. 3 year rabies vaccine) must be completed.
    • If the pet has only received one rabies vaccine (a primary vaccination), or if a rabies booster vaccine was administered outside of the period of validity of the previous vaccination, the pet will be required to wait at least 21 days after vaccination before travel to the Ukraine.  
    • Pets over 12 weeks of age must undergone a rabies neutralizing antibody titer test between 3-12 months prior to export, in an approved laboratory, with an antibody titer equal to or greater than 0.5 IU/ml. A copy of the laboratory results must be included with the health certificate at the time of arrival in the Ukraine 
  • Pets between 12 weeks and 16 weeks of age (only) that are either, 1.) not vaccinated against rabies, or 2.) 21 days has not elapsed since primary rabies vaccination, the pet must meet one of the following conditions (as noted on the model health certificate), the pet either has:
    • from birth until the time of the non-commercial movement the cats, dogs and ferrets have had no contact with wild animals of species susceptible to rabies, OR 
    • their female parents have been vaccinated against rabies in accordance with OIE requirements before breeding.

NOTE: Once the pet is in the Ukraine, rabies immunization must be completed and documented every 12 months. Rabies vaccinations must be administered no less than 30 days prior to departure from the Ukraine. Within five days prior to departure from the Ukraine, the pet owner or authorized person should obtain Form #1, a veterinary health certificate form from the State veterinary office.

For more information, please review the following guidance document.

For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommended that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information.

Country of destination contact information:  

Considerations for airline travel:

Airlines may have separate and additional requirements. Check with your airline to determine what requirements they may have, if any. 

Additional information for pet owners, airlines, and others about APHIS endorsement of international health certificates.

View requirements for returning to the US with your pet

Complementary Content