Pathogens FAQs

Last Modified: March 29, 2024

I am leaving for Australia next week to collect samples. Can I have a permit expedited?

No, we do not expedite permits because so many applicants want their permits expedited, it would cause a backlog of the other permits.

I need my permit right away. Can I skip the State review?

No, we have an agreement with the States that they may review and provide input on PPQ 526 Permits. The State review is an important part of the evaluation process.

I already have a PPQ 526 Permit. I need to move to a laboratory in a different location. Do I need a new permit to work with the plant pest in the new location?

Yes, you will need to apply for a new permit, because PPQ 526 Permits are address specific.

Someone in our company has the PPQ 526 Permit in their name. They are leaving the company. Can I change the permit to my name?

A transfer of ownership can be made only if the current permit holder and the new permit holder are both eAuthenticated. The current permit holder should log in to APHIS eFile and submit a transfer of ownership request for the permit. You must provide the new permit holder’s name, email address, and telephone number. For assistance, refer to the How to Transfer Your PPQ Permit (510.57 KB) guidance document. 

I need to have a change made on my permit. How can I have it amended?

If you are eAuthenticated you can submit an amendment application online. If you are not eAuthenticated you must send us an amendment request in writing (email, fax, or letter). Some changes can be made by amending the permit, but not all. If you need to change the destination address, for instance, you will have to apply for a new permit.

My permit has expired and I did not realize it. I still need to continue my research. What should I do?

You must apply for a new PPQ 526 Permit. Please note that most of the permits state that pests kept under the permit shall be destroyed at the completion of the intended use and not later than the expiration date, unless an extension is granted by this issuing office. In some cases, you may be able to continue using your cultures while your new permit is pending.