Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Transit Permit Information

Transit Permits are required by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS) in advance of arrival for the unloading, landing or other movement of plants, plant products, plant pests, or soil in cargo through the United States. APHIS Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) Headquarters issues Transit Permits in accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations Title 7, CFR Part 352, which allows for agricultural consignments to move through, but not remain in, the United States as transportation and exportations (T&E) or immediate exports (IE).

Commodities that do not require a written Transit Permit are:

  • All non-regulated lumber from Canada (except pine and ash lumber with bark attached)
  • Cut flowers (admissible cut flowers without botanical fruit attached, which do not require a phytosanitary certificate as an entry requirement)
  • APHIS pre-cleared shipments arriving with an original valid PPQ Form 203 issued by APHIS
  • Fresh fruit and vegetables for consumption grown in Canada (except fresh Allium bulbs, Ipomoea aquatica, corn-on-the-cob, potatoes)
  • Frozen fruit and vegetables grown in Canada
  • Grain harvested in Canada (except corn and corn relatives, including sorghum, millet, pennisetum, etc.) and grain from other sources that do not require an import permit or certification
  • Fully processed articles for consumption (i.e. milled flour, roasted coffee or peanuts)
  • Agricultural or vegetable seed from Canada except those that require an import permit or certification
  • Cargo moving on an Emergency Action Notice
  • Residue cargo movement by sea or air if the commodity is admissible without treatment and has no entry restrictions.

A PPQ Transit Permit lists specific conditions that must be met during the transit period. Typically, these conditions describe the corridor(s) that must be utilized during transit, time period(s) authorized for such movement, safeguarding methods for the shipments (e.g. packaging that prevents pest escape), and documentation that must be presented to authorities such as Customs and Border Protection (CBP), in an effort to minimize agricultural risk while allowing plants or plant products to transit through the United States.

  • Apply for a Permit - Use PPQ 586 - Application for Permit To Transit Plants and/or Plant Products, Plant Pests, and/or Associated Soil Through The United States

Transit Application Process for Permit 
Click here to view the generalized process for plant or plant product Transit Applications

Frequently Asked Questions 
View a list of the frequently asked questions associated with applying for a permit to transit plants or plant products.

Contact Information
If you have any questions regarding the transit permit application process, please call (301) 851-2028 or Email: 

Complementary Content