Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Import-Export of Biological Products


Biological products produced in other countries may be imported into the United States for research and evaluation, transit shipment, or general sale and distribution, in accordance with Title 9, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 104. APHIS Form 2005 is used to apply for an import permit for any of these purposes. Submit applications for Permits for Distribution and Sale to:

Center for Veterinary Biologics
1920 Dayton Avenue
P.O. Box 844
Ames, IA 50010

Products imported under a Permit for Distribution and Sale must meet the same requirements as those required for licensed (domestically produced) products. A U.S. permittee (business in the U.S. or individual residing, or operating a business, in the U.S.) is required to assume legal responsibility for imported products. See Veterinary Services Memorandum 800.101 for additional guidance.

Submit applications for a Veterinary Biological Permit for Research and Evaluation, or a Permit for Transit Shipment electronically via the National Centers for Animal Health (NCAH) Portal. Note that you need an eAuthentication account to apply through the NCAH Portal.

For more information or questions on submitting an application, contact the CVB via email at or phone at 515-337-7838.

Veterinary Biological Product Permit for Research and Evaluation are valid for one year cannot be renewed.  You need to re-apply yearly and receive a new permit.

For more information concerning the NCAH, visit the NCAH Portal Guidance webpage where you can find user guides and training videos.


The Center for Veterinary Biologics issues export permits and certificates of licensing and inspection to facilitate the export of licensed veterinary biological products. See Veterinary Services Memorandum 800.52 for guidance regarding requests for these export documents.

The following forms are available to facilitate the export of licensed veterinary biological products:

Export permits -- APHIS Form 2017

Certificates of Licensing and Inspection

These forms can be submitted via mail or electronically via the NCAH Portal. Visit the NCAH Portal Guidance page for more details on this service.

For information on exportation of other animal products, please refer to the USDA APHIS Animal and Animal Product Export Information page.

Complementary Content