Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE



Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animal products, or to obtain a zoosanitary certificate for an animal product, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the product will be exported, the area in which your office is located, or the area in which the product is manufactured.

Animal Products to Italy

Italy is a member state of the European Union. The European Union has harmonized import requirements for certain animal origin products. For harmonized protocols (for commodities not listed below), please refer to the general information file for the European Union.

Language Requirement for Certificates

All EU harmonized certificates (all certificates located in English under the European Union general information file) must be in both English and Italian if the border control post (BCP) [called the "border inspection post (BIP)" on some certificates] listed on the certificate for entry into the EU is located in Italy. Exporters should not present these certificates to APHIS for endorsement unless they are prepared with all text in both English and Italian. Exporters should work with their importers to create the bilingual versions. Note: If a consignment is entering the EU through Italy but destined for a different EU country, that country may also require a third language to be included.

Italian animal health authorities - information on confirming which certificate is required prior to shipment - June 2012 (pdf 12kb)

Abomasums and derivatives (including “rennets”) for the production of materials for human consumption (and other similar ruminant-origin materials) - June 2012 (pdf 12kb)

Cell Lines (from livestock species) - January 2016 (pdf 12kb)

Fishing baits - June 2012 (pdf 12kb)

Game trophies of animals other than ungulates or birds - June 2012 (pdf 12kb)


Intermediate products (information on how to determine if a particular consignment may be exported to Italy as an "intermediate product") June 2012 (pdf 12kb)

Peritoneal fluid and derivatives - June 2012 (pdf 11kb)

Rennets/Rennin - see “Abomasums and derivatives”

Samples (research and diagnostic) from animals other than livestock species or primates - October 2015  (pdf 17kb)

Samples (research and diagnostic) from livestock species (Not including samples embedded on slides or suspended in formaldehyde or alcohol - nor any samples from rodents, fish, pets, or non-human primates)

Samples (research and diagnostic) from non-human primates

Specified risk material (SRM) certification to accompany the "Veterinary Certificate for raw material in production of gelatin/collagen intended for human consumption" for consignments to Italy

  • General information - The below certificate is required by Italy to be the last pages of the "Veterinary Certificate for raw material in the production of gelatin intended for human consumption" and the "Veterinary Certificate for raw material in the production of collagen intended for human consumption." It should be the last pages of those certificates. For more information on those certificates, please see the European Union page.
  • Specified Risk Materials Certificate Supplemental Pages for Certificates for Raw Material for the Production of Gelatin/Collagen for Human Consumption - October 2011 (pdf 32kb)

Used cooking oil (also known as yellow grease) intended for the manufacture of biodiesel - June 2012 (pdf 12kb)

Yellow grease - see "Used cooking oil (also known as yellow grease) intended for the manufacture of biodiesel"

Complementary Content