Fruits and Vegetable Permit Information

Fruits and Vegetable Permit Information

USDA requires a written permit for importing fresh and/or frozen fruits and vegetables (including fresh herbs and sprouts) for consumption from all foreign sources into the United States and its territories.

A summary of basic requirements for imported fruits and vegetables is available on the Internet at the Fruits and Vegetables Import Requirements (FAVIR) Database or in the PDF electronic USDA, APHIS, PPQ, Fruit and Vegetable Manual.

  • Apply for a Permit - Use PPQ Form 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products


Online Systems


General Information

Frequently Asked Questions 
View a list of the commonly asked questions and concerns associated with the application process for a fruit and vegetable permit.