Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

European Union


If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, animal products, or to obtain a zoosanitary certificate for an animal product, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from where the product will be exported (or the area in which your office is located).

Animal Products

Live Animals

European Union - Summary of Requirements for Animal

The Member States of the European Union are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia,Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

Bilingual health certificates are available for some species/commodities. Please refer to the link for the individual Member State for available bilingual health certificates. It is the responsibility of the exporter to obtain a bilingual certificate if it is not available on the Member State link.



Bovine Embryos

Additional information about exporting bovine embryos to the EU

List of EU-approved bovine embryo collection and production teams (click on "United States" at bottom of the page)

Bovine Semen

Additional information about exporting bovine semen to EU.

List of EU-approved bovine semen collection centers and bovine semen storage centers (click on "United States" at bottom of the page)


Effective May 28, 2014, horses and equine semen/embryos donors are required to be tested for vesicular stomatitis.

Live Equine

Additional information about exporting live horses to the EU.

Equine Semen

Additional information about export of equine semen to the EU

List of EU-approved equine semen collection and storage centers (click on "United States" at bottom of page)

Equine Embryo

Ovine and Caprine

Ovine/Caprine Semen

Additional information about export of ovine/caprine semen to the EU.

Ovine/Caprine Embryos

Additional information about export of ovine/caprine semen and embryos to the EU.


Live Swine

Breeding swine - Health certificate - August 2014 (pdf 141kb)

Swine Semen

Additional information about export of porcine semen to the EU.

List of EU-approved porcine semen collection centers (click on "United States" at bottom of page)


Part II of the day-old chick certificate must be issued by an accredited veterinarian within 10 days prior to export and must be endorsed by APHIS. Part III of the certificate must be issued on the day of hatch and does not need APHIS endorsement. The accredited veterinarian must apply a stamp to Part III containing his/her name, company name, and accreditation number. The original copy of Part III must be attached to Part II of the certificate.

Captive Bred Birds:

Defined as "birds that have not been caught in the wild but have been born and bred in captivity from parents that mated or had gametes otherwise transferred in captivity." This does not apply to poultry (fowl, turkeys, guinea fowl, ducks, geese, quail, pheasants, partridges), pigeons, ratites, birds for conservation programs, pets, or birds intended for zoos


Raptors (such as falcons) may be exported to the EU according to the following three scenarios:

(Pet raptors must accompany the owner during transit. The owner must sign a declaration attesting that the bird is not intended to be sold or transferred to another owner.)

This applies to raptors which do not fall into these categories:
- pet birds accompanying their owner
- birds imported for conservation programs approved by the competent authority of the Member State of destination
- birds intended for zoos, circuses, amusement parks
- research birds
Captive bred raptors must originate from an approved breeding bird establishment meeting these conditions.

  • Birds intended for zoos, conservation programs, and research

The import conditions for these birds are determined by the importing country. The importer should request this information from the government of the Member State of destination.

Research dogs, cats and ferrets

  • Research dogs, cats and ferrets:  Health certificate for research animals destined for bodies, institutes or centers approved in accordance with Annex C to Directive 92/65/EEC


Pet dogs, cats, and ferrets exported to a Member State of the European Union (EU) must be identified with a microchip compatible with ISO standard 11784 or 11785.  If a microchip does not comply with ISO standards, the appropriate microchip reader must accompany the pet.  Alternately, if a non-ISO compatible microchip was implanted, and the client is unable to travel with a microchip reader, then the accredited veterinarian can implant an ISO-compatible microchip.  The location and implant dates of both microchips must be documented on the health certificate.

Microchip implantation (whether ISO-compatible or not) must occur prior to or on the same day as rabies vaccination.  A rabies vaccination given prior to microchip implantation is considered invalid.  If the valid rabies vaccination expires before the booster is given, then the pet must be revaccinated. In both situations, the new vaccination is now considered to be the “primary vaccination.”  After a primary vaccination, the pet must wait 21 days before being eligible to enter the EU.

Rabies vaccination is not required for pet dogs, cats and ferrets under 12 weeks (3 months) of age.  Note that some EU Member States do not allow import of unvaccinated pets. Import of unvaccinated pets under 12 weeks of age must be authorized by the EU Member State. The exporter should contact the animal health authorities in the Member State for authorization, and documentation of authorization should be attached to the export certificate.  All dogs, cats and ferrets over the age of 12 weeks must be vaccinated for rabies.

Pet dogs, cats, and ferrets returning to the EU after traveling to the United States may be accompanied by an EU Pet Passport issued prior to leaving the EU. If a pet requires echinococcus treatment for travel to the UK, Ireland, Finland, Malta or Norway, the treatment may be entered in the Passport by an accredited veterinarian. An EU health certificate issued in the United States is not required, and APHIS should not endorse the Passport. If an animal needs a rabies booster while in the United States, this information cannot be entered into the EU Passport by a US veterinarian. A regular EU health certificate must be issued by the U.S. accredited veterinarian and endorsed by APHIS.

  • Dogs, Cats and Ferrets - Non-Fillable Health Certificate - Non-commercial movement of five or less animals - December 2014
  • Dogs, Cats and Ferrets - Fillable  Health Certificate - Non-commercial movement of five or less animals - June 2015
    • Certificate instructions certificates with explanatory notes
    • Declaration: Use only if animals are either less than 12 weeks of age and not vaccinated for rabies, or between 12-16 weeks of age and vaccinated but 21 days has not elapsed since the date of vaccination.
    • Declaration:   Use only if animals are transiting an unlisted country (the US is listed).  Not relevant if animals are exported directly from the United States.
  • Dogs, Cats and Ferrets - Health Certificate - Commercial movement or more than five non-commercial animals - December 2014

Pet birds


NOTE: Effective March 1, 2013, new health certificates are required for live aquatic animal exports. The significant change is the removal of epizootic ulcerative syndrome (EUS) from the European Union’s regulated disease list.

NOTE: Effective July 6, 2007, exports of mollusks and their eggs and gametes (*with the exception of manila clams, see below) to the European Union for further growth, fattening, or relaying are suspended.
*Export of manila clams may be authorized by individual EU Member States. Exporters should confirm with the government of the individual EU Member State.

Commission Regulation (EU) No 1012/2012 - February 2013 (pdf 1.39 mb)
Commission Regulation (EU) No 346/2010 - April 2010 (pdf 1.49 mb)
Commission Regulation (EC) No 1251/2008 - May 2009 (pdf 37kb)

EU Member States’ Health Status

For species not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship livestock or germplasm whose requirements are not listed in the IREGS, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry. This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Additional Information