Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Information for International Travelers

Travelers – Know What You CAN & CANNOT Bring Back

Warning image to declare food, plants, and agricultural items

Travelers entering the United States must declare all agricultural products on their U.S. Customs forms. U.S. agricultural inspectors will examine your items to be sure they meet entry requirements and do not harbor harmful foreign pests or diseases. U.S. inspectors have the authority to make a final determination about whether your products can enter the country. We recommend that you keep receipts and original packaging of agricultural products as proof of their country of origin.

If there is something special you want to bring back, you’ll need to plan ahead and work closely with our import specialists to make sure you understand and meet all of our requirements.

As long as you declare all the agricultural products you are bringing with you, you will not face any penalties—even if an inspector determines that they cannot enter the country.

What Do You Want to Bring into the United States?

Still not finding what you're looking for?

Plants and Plant Product

If you still have questions about whether a particular plant or plant products (fruits, vegetables, plant parts, seeds, soil, or souvenirs made from wood or plants) can be brought into the United States, please contact USDA’s Plant Import Information Line at 877-770-5990 (toll-free) or by email at

Animal Products 

If you still have any questions or need more information about whether a particular animal product (meat, milk, dairy, eggs) can be brought into the United States, contact USDA’s National Import Export Services (NIES) at 301-851-3300 option 1 or by email at

Complementary Content