Permits and Certifications
APHIS issues permits for the import, transit and release of regulated animals, animal products, veterinary biologics, plants, plant products, pests, organisms, soil, and genetically engineered organisms.
ePermits is a web-based system that allows users to submit import /interstate movement/transit/release permit applications, track applications, apply for renewals and amendments, and receive copies of their permits.
Learn more about ePermits .
APHIS also issues some certifications as a service to United States exporters.
Animal and Animal Products
Includes live animals, semen, embryos and materials derived from animals or exposed to animal-source materials such as animal tissues, blood, cells or cell lines of livestock or poultry origin, RNA/DNA extracts, hormones, enzymes, microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi. In addition, animal materials including dairy products (except butter and cheese), and meat products (e.g., meat pies, prepared foods) from countries with livestock diseases exotic to the U.S.
Includes vaccines, bacterins, antisera, diagnostic kits, and other products of biological origin.
Includes genetically engineered organisms considered to be regulated articles.
Plants, Organisms, and Soil
- Guidelines and Regulations for the Importation of Plants and Plant Products
Includes nursery stock, small lots of seed, fruits and vegetables, timber, cotton, cut flowers, and protected, threatened and endangered plants;
- Guidelines and Regulations for the Importation of Pests and Organisms
Includes arthropods and mollusks (insects and snails); fungi, bacteria, nematodes, mycoplasma, viroids and viruses, biological control agents, bees, Plant Pest Diagnostic Laboratories, federal noxious weeds, and parasitic plants.
- Guidelines and Regulations for the Importation of Soil
- Guidelines and Regulations for Microbial Pathogens Used to Control Invertebrate Plant Pests
- Guidelines and Regulations for the Transit of Plants, Pests or Soil through the U.S.
- Apply for a Plant, Organism or Soil Import/Interstate Movement/Transit/Release Permit
- Apply for General Permits to Import U.S. EPA Registered Biopesticides
- Obtain a Plant Export Certification