Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Animal Health Permits

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Veterinary Services (VS) eFile system is a web-based system that allows users to submit permit applications, track applications, apply for renewals and amendments, and receive a copy of the permit - all while online. Users are required to sign up for a Verified Identity eAuthentication account to access eFile; however, once you receive your eAuth ID and password, it provides a centralized authentication service for all web-based services across the federal government. Please visit the USDA eAuthentication site to learn more.

If you are importing a pet dog or cat, please do not apply for an import permit and contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for requirements.

If you are importing dog (a) for resale, whether through commercial sale or adoption, please contact USDA APHIS Animal Care.

Use of APHIS eFile Required Effective May 31, 2022

Effective May 31, 2022, APHIS Veterinary Services (VS) will require submission of all new and renewal permit applications for live animals and animal products, organisms, and vectors - via the  APHIS eFile system.

"We encourage you to take advantage of the online access option to apply for permits via APHIS eFile. This will help to expedite the entire permitting process and enable users to track the status of their permits, confirm receipt, and easily renew or amend existing permits.

If you wish to import food products for Human Consumption, visit the Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) Website

Permits offered through the ePermits or eFile system via eAuthentication

Apply for a Permit by eMail

Complete the appropriate form(s) and send by email (for non eAuthenticated users):
*For faster and easier application submission and review, please utilize our online system, APHIS eFile, to create and submit your application.

  • VS 16-3 - Application for Permit to Import Controlled Material or Transport Organisms or Vectors or Animal Products and By-Products.

If submitting by e-mail, a fully completed VS 16-3 will be required for each new permit, permit amendment, and permit renewal request.

Contact Information - List of telephone numbers, fax numbers, and mailing addresses

Complementary Content