Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Animal Health Permits

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Veterinary Services (VS) ePermits and eFile system is a web-based system that allows users to submit permit applications, track applications, apply for renewals and amendments, and receive a copy of the permit - all while online. Users are required to sign up for a Verified Identity eAuthentication account to access ePermits; however, once you receive your eAuth id and password, it provides a centralized authentication service for all web-based services across the federal government. A helpful study aid to get started with an eAuthentication account and how to apply for a permit is provided here

If you are importing a pet dog or cat, please do not apply for an import permit and contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for requirements.

If you are importing dog (a) for resale, whether through commercial sale or adoption, please contact USDA APHIS Animal Care.

VS will continue to offer both a manual process and the on-line ePermits system to our users. We encourage you to take advantage of the ePermits option. This will help to expedite the entire permitting process and enable users to track the status of their permits, confirm receipt, and easily renew existing permits.

If you wish to import food products for Human Consumption, visit the Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) Website

Permits offered through the ePermits or eFile system via eAuthentication

Apply for a Permit by Mail or Fax

Print the appropriate form(s) and send by mail or fax (for non eAuthenticated users):

  • APHIS 2005 - Application for U.S. Veterinary Biological Product Permit
  • VS 16-3 - Application for Permit to Import Controlled Material or Transport Organisms or Vectors or Animal Products and By-Products.
  • VS 16-7 - Application for Permit to Import Cell Cultures and Their Products.
  • VS 17-129 (fillable) - Application for Import or in Transit Permit (for Live Animals, Semen or Embryos). 
  • On Hold - Shipment Notification Application (for Animal Products and By-Products)

Contact Information - List of telephone numbers, fax numbers, and mailing addresses

Complementary Content