Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture

Pet Travel: How to Find a USDA-Accredited Veterinarian

All veterinarians must be licensed in the state that they work in order to practice medicine.  In addition to a state veterinary license, many countries require the veterinarian who issues (completes and signs) the international health certificate to be USDA-accredited.  

If you are traveling to a country that requires an Accredited Veterinarian’s signature, contact your local veterinarian to make sure they are currently USDA-accredited through the National Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP).  

If you are traveling with a bird, make sure that your veterinarian has the appropriate accreditation status for completion of international health certificates for birds (Category II).

Need an Accredited Veterinarian?

If you need the assistance of an accredited veterinarian you have the following options:

Step 1.  Ask your veterinarian if he/she is accredited or can give you a referral to an accredited veterinarian

Step 2.  Contact your local Veterinary Services NVAP Coordinator

Complementary Content