Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

How do I find a USDA Accredited Veterinarian to complete my animal's health certificate?

Vetrnarian looking at a dog banner
For the purposes of international travel, most foreign countries require that the health certificate be issued (completed, signed, dated) by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian, before being endorsed (countersigned and embossed/stamped) by APHIS.

What is a USDA Accredited Veterinarian?

A USDA Accredited Veterinarian has completed formal training from the National Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP) in the state(s) they are licensed to practice medicine in. Accreditation is state-specific and is voluntary (not all veterinarians are accredited).

How do I Find a USDA Accredited Veterinarian?

  • Call and ask your local veterinarian if they or another veterinarian in their practice is accredited, or if they know of someone who is.

  • Contact other local veterinary practices to ask them if they have an accredited veterinarian on staff.

  • Use the NVAP self-search tool for finding accredited veterinarians in your area
    • Note: Not all accredited veterinarians in your area may appear in the search since not all accredited veterinarians allow USDA APHIS to release their information publicly.

IMPORTANT! Make sure your USDA Accredited Veterinarian is accredited in the state you are seeing them in! USDA APHIS cannot endorse your health certificate if your veterinarian is not accredited in the state they’re practicing medicine. Contact your state’s NVAP Coordinator to confirm your veterinarian’s accreditation status.

Pet Bird Owners

If you are traveling with or shipping a pet bird, make sure that your veterinarian has the appropriate accreditation status (Category II) for completion of international health certificates for birds.

Complementary Content