Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Sugarcane Product and By-Products FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How long does it take for a permit to be issued?
A. It can take up to 30 days for a permit to be processed. Please apply 30 days before your first shipment arrives.

Q. Do I need to apply for a permit for every shipment?
No. One permit will be valid for future shipments, providing there are no special requirements. If there are special requirements, then an amendment to your permit will be issued. You need to renew at least 30 days before the expiration date on the permit.

Q. How much does a permit cost?
A. At this time, there are no charges for sugarcane products or by-product permits.

Q. Can companies outside the United States apply for a permit?
No. We only issue permits to U.S. residents with valid U.S. street addresses.

Q. Are there special permits for prohibited material?
Yes. A Departmental Permit may be issued for prohibited material for RESEARCH purposes. See the Departmental Permits for Prohibited Material for Research Purposes website.

Complementary Content