Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Rice Related Information FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How long does it take for a permit to be issued?
A. It can take up to 30 days for a permit to be processed. Please apply 30 days before your first shipment arrives.

Q. Why does APHIS regulate rice and rice products?
Because rice from certain parts of the World is associated with injurious diseases, including downy, mildew (Sclerospora macrospora), leaf smut (Entyloma oryzae), blight (Oospora oryzetorum), and glume blotch (Melanomma glumarum), as well as dangerous insect pests.

Q. Do I need to apply for a permit for every shipment?
A. No. The permit is valid for future shipments of the listed plant material up to the expiration date. If you request any changes to your original application, then a permit amendment may be issued. You should submit a request for renewal at least 30 days before the expiration date.

Q. How much does a permit cost?
A. Currently there are no fees for this type of permit. User fees will be implemented sometime in the future. At present, APHIS requires a fee only for the General Permit to Engage in the Business of Importing, Exporting, or Re-Exporting Terrestrial Plants listed on the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The fee is $70.00.

Q. Can companies outside the United States apply for a permit?
A. No. We issue permits only to U.S. residents with valid U.S. street addresses.

Q. Does APHIS issue any special permits for prohibited material?
A. Yes. A Controlled Import Permit may be issued for prohibited material for RESEARCH purposes only. See the Controlled Import Permit website.

Complementary Content