Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Indian Corn or Maize, Broomcorn, and Related Plants FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How long does it take for a permit to be issued?
A. It can take up to 30 days for a permit to be processed. Please apply 30 days before your first shipment arrives. 

Q. Do I need to apply for a permit for every shipment?
No. One permit will be valid for future shipments, providing there are no special requirements. If there are special requirements, then an amendment to your permit will be issued. You need to renew at least 30 days before expiration date. 

Q. How much does a permit cost?
There are no charges for permits, except for the General Permit to Engage in the Business of Importing, Exporting, or Re-Exporting Terrestrial Plants listed on the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The fee is $70.00. 

Q. Can companies outside the United States apply for a permit?
No. We only issue permits to U.S. residents with valid U.S. street addresses. 

Q. Are there any special permits for prohibited material?
Yes. A Departmental Permit is issued for prohibited material for RESEARCH purposes. See the Departmental Permits for Prohibited Material for Research Purposes website.

Complementary Content