Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

CITES (Endangered Plant Species)

Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA)

The USDA is responsible for enforcing regulations specific to the import and export of plants regulated by CITES as well as the Endangered Species Act (ESA). For the list of CITES regulated plants, click here. For the list of plants regulated by ESA, click here.

If you are in the business of importing, exporting or re-exporting CITES or ESA regulated plants and plant products, USDA regulation 7 CFR 355 requires that you possess a valid USDA Protected Plant Permit. Importers of live plants and seeds must also obtain permits under the USDA's nursery stock regulation. CITES listed plants and plant products must enter the United States through a "Designated Port".

In addition to USDA permits, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) issues export and re-export permits for CITES or ESA-protected plants leaving the United States. FWS also requires import permits for wild collected CITES Appendix l species.

There is a fee of $70.00 for the Protected Plant Permit. We require a check or money order made payable to Plant Protection and Quarantine.

Required Permit Applications

If you are engaging in the business of importing CITES/ESA regulated timber or timber products complete PPQ Form 621 and PPQ Form 585.

If you are engaging in the business of importing CITES/ESA regulated plants, complete PPQ Form 621 and PPQ Form 587.

General Information

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Agricultural Inspection (AI) Port Contacts for CITES related matters.

Frequently Asked Questions 

Contact Information

If you have questions regarding the application process for the Protected Plant Permit or PPQ form 621, please call (301) 851-2046 or Email:

Complementary Content