Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Transit Permits FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How long does it take for a permit to be issued?
A. It can take up to 60 days for a permit to be processed. Please apply 60 days before your first shipment arrives.

Q. Who should apply for a permit?
A. The legal and/or physical custodian(s) of shipments that are transiting through the United States.  

Q.  Do shipments moving under Customs bond as in-transit (IT) cargo or as residue cargo require an APHIS PPQ transit permit?
A. Shipments moving under Customs bond as in-transit (IT) cargo often require an APHIS import permit instead of a transit permit; residue cargo is covered by other authorities. If you are unsure which permit to apply for, submit an application for a transit permit (PPQ Form 586) and you will be advised accordingly.

Q. Does wood packing material (WPM) with my shipments transiting the United States to Canada or Mexico have to be compliant with ISPM 15 treatment and marking requirements? 
A. Yes. Shipments with non-compliant WPM will be refused transit to both Canada and Mexico since both countries have also implemented regulations and/or policy in support of ISPM 15.

Q. Do I need to apply for a transit permit for every shipment?
A. Generally transit permits are issued for 1 to 2 years and cover multiple shipments, but only for the commodities and countries of origin(s) specified on each permit.

Q. How much does a transit permit cost?
A. At this time, there are no charges for APHIS Transit permits.

Complementary Content