Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Federal Noxious Weeds FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. Do I need a PPQ permit to move a non-Federal noxious weed interstate? How can I tell if a weed is regulated by one or more of the States?
A. You do not need a Federal permit to move a non-Federal noxious weed within the United States. You can check the National Plant Board web site for a list of State-regulated noxious weeds. (Please have patience; this takes a while to load!) Contact the States directly to ask about their restrictions and requirements.

Q. Do I need a plant pest permit to import non parasitic weeds that are not listed in the Federal noxious weed regulations?
. No. You need to complete a PPQ form 526 (Application for permit to move live plant pests or noxious weeds) only for Federal noxious weeds. If the weed you want to import is not listed in the noxious weed regulations, apply for a PPQ Importer Basic permit, PPQ Form 587 (Application to import plants and plant products). List the species you want to import on the application. Permit specialists will notify you if any of your requested species are prohibited or restricted.

The Germplasm Resources Information Network database also includes information about State regulatory status for individual plant entries.

Q. For scientific or research purpose, will I need to have my containment facility inspected before the permit is issued?
A. This depends on the species of noxious weed plant and the intended use. Generally, if you plan to grow a Federal noxious weed and or parasitic plant and allow it to reproduce, you can expect a containment facility inspection. If you plan to conduct research with small-seeded parasitic weeds, such as Striga or Orobanche , you must have a high-security containment facility, which must be approved prior to permit issuance. Your permit application triggers our request for a site inspection, if required. A Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) official will contact you to arrange a suitable time.

Q. How long will it take to receive my permit?
A. The average turnaround time for a noxious weed permit is three to four weeks, which includes State consultation. If your containment facility must be inspected, expect a turnaround time of five to six weeks.

Complementary Content