Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Canada to the United States - Temporary

Horses from Canada who have been in Canada less than 60 days

*Horses from Canada who have been in Canada less than 60 days must be accompanied by an original copy of export health certificate from country of origin. If original is not available, a copy endorsed by Canadian government veterinary officials is acceptable. In addition, they must be accompanied by certification from Canadian government veterinary officials that the horses have been tested for dourine, glanders equine infectious anemia, piroplasmosis, and have been released from quarantine. Import testing requirements for Contagious Equine Metritis (CEM) if required have been met in Canada, and the horse should be accompanied by documentation certifying to the testing. The official export health certificate statements in i. – v. above will certify the horses for the time period they have been in Canada.

Canadian horses imported into the United States from Canada that have resided in Canada for at least 60 days and that meet U.S. import requirements do NOT require a permit.

These horses will need:

  • An official health certificate of physical examination performed within 30 days of travel, endorsed by a salaried veterinarian of the Canadian government. View Canadian health certificate requirements.
  • A negative equine infectious anemia (EIA) test drawn within 180 days prior to export.

Horses staying in the U.S. for less than 30 days from the date of issues of the health certificate are considered a temporary entry and will not require a veterinary inspection. [See 9CFR 93.317, (b)]

Horses imported from Canada entering the United States temporarily may enter through any land border port designated for animals from Canada.

A broker and formal entry may be required for any horse—both commercial and noncommercial—at the direction of Customs and Border Protection. Contact the port directly to find out if there are any additional requirements for entry at that port.

View a list of all US Ports of Entry.

Complementary Content