Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation - Introduction

The Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) Reasonable Accommodations Program provides services to the following Mission Area agencies:  Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS). 

The MRP Reasonable Accommodations Program removes workplace barriers that prevent individuals with disabilities from applying for employment, and employees from performing essential job functions.

Any APHIS or AMS employee (full-time, part-time, and probationary) or applicant with a qualifying disability, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA), may receive a reasonable accommodation.

Employees seeking Personal Assistance Services (PAS) will follow agency procedures for reasonable accommodations.

The Mission Area agencies are committed to an inclusive workplace environment where individuals with disabilities can quickly and easily request and obtain reasonable accommodations.

What is a Reasonable Accommodation?

Any modification or adjustment to a job or change in the work environment that enables an applicant with a qualifying disability to compete equally for a position or an employee with a qualifying disability to perform the essential functions of the position. The accommodation must be job related and not for personal use (e.g., hearing aids, prosthetic devices, wheelchairs, and transportation to work).

Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, a Federal agency is required to provide reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.

How do I request a Reasonable Accommodation (including PAS)?

An applicant or employee with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application process or during the period of employment.

A family member, union representative, healthcare provider, another employee, or anyone else the employee designates to represent him/her may make the request.

When an employee decides to request accommodation, the individual or his/her representative must notify the supervisor or the Reasonable Accommodations Staff. If the employee contacts the supervisor, the supervisor must notify the Reasonable Accommodations Staff.

Requests for accommodations from applicants will be handled by Human Resources at the contact number listed on the vacancy announcement in conjunction with the Reasonable Accommodations Staff.

The need for a reasonable accommodation is determined on a case-by-case basis, taking the following into consideration: the individual’s specific disability and existing limitations relative to the performance of a job function, the essential duties of the job, the work environment, and the feasibility of the proposed accommodation.

What is the Reasonable Accommodations and PAS Process?

Examples of Accommodations:

  • Assistive Technology
  • Changes to the physical work environment
  • Ergonomic assessments/devices
  • Interpreter services
  • Schedule modifications, flexible leave and telework
  • Personal Assistance Services
    • Personal Assistance Services (PAS) are services that help individuals who, because of targeted disabilities, require assistance to perform basic activities of daily living, like eating and using the restroom, and do not include, for example, performing medical procedures or medical monitoring.
    • PAS do not help individuals with disabilities perform their specific job functions, such as reviewing documents or answering questions that come through a call-in center. PAS differ from services that help an individual to perform job-related tasks, such as sign language interpreters who enable individuals who are hearing impaired to communicate with coworkers, and readers who enable individuals who are blind or have learning disabilities to read printed text.
  • Disability Parking
    • Employees who work in the DC offices may request disabled parking as an accommodation.
    • Employees may request temporary (less than 90 days) or permanent disabled parking.
    • Employees seeking disabled parking will follow agency procedures for reasonable accommodations.


Roles and Responsibilities


If you would like to make a Reasonable Accommodations request or submit a request for disability parking, please contact a member of the Reasonable Accommodations’ Staff on (301) 851-2950 or via email at

Complementary Content