Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

FOST Obligations and Payments

The micro purchase thresholds for payments without an agreement or purchase order are set at $10,000 for goods and services, $2,500 for services covered under the Service Contract Act, and $2,000 for construction. Payments over the micro purchase threshold must be accompanied by a valid agreement or purchase order. Services over $2,500.00 and Construction over $2,000 – Require approval from the Acquisition Branch Chief.

BSE - Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) payments are for the disposal of carcasses of animals which were destroyed in order to conduct testing for BSE.

Cooperative Agreements - Cooperative agreement payments are payments made to a non-federal cooperator for their contributions to the mutual interest government project being funded.

Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) payments - payments made in regards to EEO awards or settlements against the USDA for attorney's fees or lump sum payments to employees.

Employee Reimbursements - Employee reimbursement payments are payments made to employees to reimburse them for authorized costs associated with official business. For frequently asked questions, visit the FAQ section.

Electronic Submission of SF 1164s Instructions:

Employee Training (SF 182, Employees Only) - Employee training payments are payments made to a training vendor for an employees authorized training costs.

Fee Basis payments are payments made to veterinarians for gathering samples of animals in order to conduct testing for animal diseases.

Grants - Grant payments are payments to non-federal entities in support of projects in which the agency has no substantial involvement. In general, grant payments are intended for future, often indirect gain to project, organization, or society.

Honorariums - Honorarium payments are payments made to an individual or organization for their services which fees are not legally or traditionally required. For the USDA, most honorarium payments are for guest speakers.

Indemnities - Indemnity payments are payments made to compensate for the loss or destruction of certain animals and crops.

Miscellaneous - Miscellaneous payments are payments under the micro-purchase threshold made for all authorized items which do not fall under USDA's commonly made payments.

Patent Royalties - Patent royalty payments are payments made to employees for the sale of their inventions while working for the USDA which were patented.

Postage - Postage payments are payments made to refill postage accounts benefiting the USDA, either managed by the United States Post Office (USPO) or the USDA.

SPS - Secured Payment System (SPS) payments are payments made through Treasury by a secondary financial system called SPS. The payments made by FOST in SPS are either Same-Day Pays or ACH wire transfers. These payments are generally urgent in nature, paid to a foreign vendor, and/or high dollar amounts.

Tort Claims- Tort claim payments are payments made to compensate for breaches of civil duty. Tort claims may comprise of varied topics including auto accidents, defamation, product liability, copyright infringement, and environmental pollution, among many others.

Transportation - Transportation payments are made to shipping companies for transportation of authorized USDA official or employee belongings.

United Parcel Service (UPS) - UPS payments are payments made to UPS for any official shipping expenses incurred via UPS.

Complementary Content