Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

European Union


Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animal products, or to obtain a zoosanitary certificate for an animal product, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the product will be exported, the area in which your office is located, or the area in which the product is manufactured.

Member states of the European Community (EU):

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (including French Guiana), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Although they are not officially members of the European Union, the following countries are believed to follow the below same requirements as the European Union for imports: United Kingdom, Norway, Switzerland, Greenland, and Iceland.

Additional information for individual EU countries may also be available, if the EU does not have harmonized requirements for an import, or if the specific importing country has different or additional requirements. Please be certain to check not only the below links but also the pages for the specific EU destination country and the EU country of the Border Control Post (BCP) (if different than the destination country). Important additional country-specific information may be available under the pages for the specific EU countries.

Harmonized certificates for the European Union, including those available under the individual EU Member Country pages, should NOT be transferred to letterhead prior to endorsement. The certificates should instead be printed by the endorsing office onto VS Security Paper prior to endorsement.

Export Certificates Must be Endorsed Prior to Shipment from the listed U.S. facility [in the case of harmonized certificates, this is the facility noted Section I.11 of the certificate].  The EU has reiterated that required certificates must be dated on or before shipment. VS will not pre-date export certificates.  Exporters must get their certificates prior to shipment.

Common Veterinary Entry Document (CVED): The CVED is not a document prepared or endorsed in the United States. The CVED is prepared by the EU importer (or in the case of shipments transiting the EU, by the individual responsible for the consignment while it is in the EU) and submitted to the EU border control post (BCP). The BCP finalizes the CVED prior to release of the shipment for movement within the EU. APHIS does not endorse CVEDs.

Border Control Post (BCP) [also known as Border Control Posts (BCP)]: Codes to utilize in European Union harmonized certificates: 2009/821/EC as amended January 2019  (pdf 1.23mb)

Delete as Appropriate Statements - August 2011 (pdf 70kb)

Materials for human consumption

Materials NOT for human consumption

Materials NOT of animal-origin - May 2019 (pdf 76kb)

Personal Consignments of Products of Animal Origin (Passenger Baggage) - May 2009 (pdf 70kb)

Russian Federation: Advisory Regarding Consignments Transiting the European Union (EU) Destined for the Russian Federation - July 2014 (13kb)

Complementary Content