Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE



Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animal products, or to obtain a zoosanitary certificate for an animal product, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the product will be exported, the area in which your office is located, or the area in which the product is manufactured.

Export of Agricultural Commodities to Iran

The export of U.S. agricultural commodities to Iran, with some exceptions, is generally authorized by a General License issued by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).  Current regulations on the General License for agricultural commodities can be found in 31 C.F.R. Part 560.530 and frequently asked questions can be found at the OFAC FAQs Iran Sanctions page. Exporters who wish to export agricultural commodities that are not covered by the General License may apply to OFAC for a specific license. However, exporters should be aware that there are no bilaterally agreed upon trade protocols for the export of animal origin commodities. Therefore, there may be limited recourse should a consignment be detained and/or denied entry.

Additional guidance on U.S. agricultural exports to Iran can be found here on the OFAC website. 

For questions regarding U.S. sanctions, please contact the OFAC Licensing Division at or +1-202-622-2480 or USDA Foreign Agriculture Service at

Complementary Content