Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Exportation Of Terrestrial Live Animals To Mexico By Land Ports

Please be advised that Mexican customs regulations for export of live animals require the exporter to hire an authorized customs broker. If contacted in advance, some custom brokers can facilitate the exportation by providing the Sanitary Permit as part of their services.

In order to export live animals to Mexico you are required to obtain in advance an hoja de requisitos zoosanitarios/sanitary permit (HRZ). Go to this website for more information:

When using a VS FORM 17 - 140, the accredited veterinarian must write the consignor's name in box 1. The name of the person that is listed on the sanitary permit/hoja de requisitos zoosanitarios must match the name of the person listed on item 16 of the Health Certificate. SAGARPA will reject any VS FORM 17-140 that is handwritten, has misspelled names, or contain errors, erasures or whiteouts.

If refused entry, susceptible animals reentering the US within the fever tick quarantine area in Texas will be subjected to quarantine regulations for fever tick.

For more information about fever tick quarantine, please call Mr. Gregory R. Elizondo, Quarantine Enforcement Inspector, USDA/APHIS/VS, 9901 S. Cage Blvd., Ste. A, Pharr, TX ,78577, [voice] 956.283.2180, [fax] 956.782.7998, [mobile] 956.605.8260,

Mexico  Summary of Requirements for Live Animals

Complementary Content