Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture


IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

This country allows USDA Accredited Veterinarians to use USDA’s online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS) to complete some health certificates.

Save Time and Money!
USDA Accredited Veterinarian Signature Electronic Signature Accepted
USDA APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer Signature Digital endorsement varies by species see below for more information
The health certificate either bears the original ink signature and embossed seal or digital signature/seal
Before going to VEHCS: Scroll below this banner to view animal-specific requirements.

To process some health certificates, VEHCS may need the USDA Accredited Veterinarian to upload the completed fillable PDF version found below. Either save a copy of the PDF below, or return to this page for the health certificate, if prompted by VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, log in here if you wish to use VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, help with using VEHCS is available on the VEHCS Help Page. To walk yourself through issuing a health certificate in VEHCS, click here.
NOTE: The printed paper endorsed health certificate must accompany each shipment. For digitally endorsed health certificates, USDA Accredited Veterinarians can print the health certificate from VEHCS once it is endorsed. For non-digitally endorsed health certificates, you can arrange to have your endorsed health certificate returned via pick-up or by mail (a pre-paid, pre-addressed return label must be provided during certificate submission).

NOTE: When exporting animals or poultry to Peru, you should request an import permit from SENASA prior to the exportation.

For commodities other than aquaculture to Peru, USDA Accredited Veterinarians may issue health certificates electronically through the online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS).  These certificates will be digitally endorsed by APHIS once received in the system and available for printing by the USDA Accredited Veterinarian once the endorsement is completed by APHIS.

NOTE: An APHIS-endorsed, printed paper copy must accompany each shipment.

Until further notice, for all aquaculture commodities, health certificates may be submitted by the USDA Accredited Veterinarian through VEHCS; however, the APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer's ink (wet) signature with the application of the APHIS embossed seal must appear on the health certificate.  To accomplish this, certificates received by APHIS through the VEHCS system will be printed and endorsed in our offices, and the hard copy will be returned when complete.  This APHIS-endorsed paper copy must accompany the shipment.



Sheep and Goats

Note: Effective December 24, 2003, sheep from the United States are banned due to a risk of BSE.

Other Ruminants

Note: Effective December 24, 2003, Cervids from the United States are banned due to a risk of BSE.


  • Swine - Breeding - Protocol - Under Negotiation
  • Swine - Breeding - Health Certificate - Under Negotiation


Note: Effective April 20, 2020, Peru has banned importation of all U.S. live birds, hatching eggs, and SPF eggs from the states of North Carolina and South Carolina.

Note: When exporting animals, germplasm, or poultry to Peru, please remember to request an import permit from SENASA prior to exportation.  Without an import permit, the shipment will not be allowed in the country.

Birds (non-Poultry)

Aquatic Animals

APHIS Registered Aquaculture Export Facility approval is required for tilapia and salmonid ova.

Research / Laboratory Animals

Other Animals


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship livestock whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry. This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content