Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

South Africa

IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

"Orange Banner" Country

Accredited Veterinarians can submit health certificates for USDA endorsement electronically through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).

However, this country requires USDA to ink-sign and emboss the health certificate. This means the final, endorsed health certificate that travels with the animal(s) must be mailed back.

IMPORTANT: The endorsed health certificate (paper, not electronic) must accompany the shipment. The endorsed health certificate will be returned by mail (a pre-paid, pre-addressed return label must be provided during certificate submission).

VEHCS Help  |  VEHCS Guide  |  VEHCS Login 


Note: An Import Permit must be obtained from the Republic of South Africa, and space must be reserved at the official quarantine station.



NoteThe Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development (DALRRD) of South Africa has imposed trade restrictions on the import of U.S. origin day-old chicks and hatching eggs from the states of Indiana (effective February 11, 2022), Missouri, Maryland, South Dakota, and Iowa (all effective March 11, 2022), California (effective September 1, 2022), Ohio (effective September 15, 2022), Tennessee (effective September 27, 2022), New Hampshire (effective to October 5, 2022), Arkansas (effective October 19, 2022), Nevada and Florida (effective October 31, 2022), and Mississippi (effective November 17, 2022), due to HPAI.

Note: Import Permits from the Republic of South Africa are required for live poultry, birds, day-old chicks and hatching eggs.

Aquatic Animals

APHIS Registered Aquaculture Export Facility approval is required for the following certificates:

Research / Laboratory Animals

Other Animals

Note: South African Import Permits are required prior to APHIS endorsement of veterinary health certificates.


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known.  However, exporters wanting to ship livestock and/or germplasm, whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry.  This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content