Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE


IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

Save Time and Money with VEHCS!

"Orange Banner" Country

Accredited Veterinarians can submit health certificates for USDA endorsement electronically through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).

However, this country requires USDA to ink-sign and emboss the health certificate. This means the final, endorsed health certificate that travels with the animal(s) must be mailed back to you.
Before going to VEHCS: Scroll below this banner to view animal-specific requirements.

To process some health certificates, VEHCS may need the Accredited Veterinarian to upload the completed fillable PDF version found in the requirements section of this page. Either save a copy of the PDF below, or return to this page for the health certificate, if prompted by VEHCS.

Accredited Veterinarians, log in here if you wish to use VEHCS.
Accredited Veterinarians, help with using VEHCS is available on the VEHCS Help Page.
Learn how to issue a health certificate using VEHCS (A Step-by-step Guide).
NOTE: The endorsed health certificate (paper, not electronic) must accompany the shipment. The endorsed health certificate will be returned by mail (a pre-paid, pre-addressed return label must be provided during certificate submission).




Note: The following certification statements must appear on health certificate for swine and swine semen to Japan:

"There has been no clinical evidence of PED on the premises of origin of the live swine animals for export for at least 12 months prior to the start of export isolation."  

Test requirements during export isolation: "PED: PCR test using fresh feces with negative result"

NoteAs of September 24, 2014 additional requirements for PED must be included for swine semen.


Note: The following statement must appear on health certificates for live birds to Japan:

"The animals have not originated or transited through any State that is currently under a poultry ban by Japan."  

For current Japanese poultry bans visit:

 *domestic fowl, ducks, turkeys, quail, pheasant, guinea fowl and geese

Note: Containers and pallets must be sprayed and disinfected for poultry/hatching eggs and day-old chicks for import and transit.

Birds (non-Poultry)

Aquatic Animals

APHIS Registered Aquaculture Export Facility approval is required.

Research / Laboratory Animals

Note: Research canines and felines must be approved by Japan's Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) and listed with current information in order to be allowed import. 

Other Animals

Note: Japan has banned the importation of prairie dogs as of March 1, 2003.


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known.  However, exporters wanting to ship livestock and/or germplasm, whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry.  This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content