Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE


IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

Save Time and Money with VEHCS!

"Orange Banner" Country

Accredited Veterinarians can submit health certificates for USDA endorsement electronically through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).

However, this country requires USDA to ink-sign and emboss the health certificate. This means the final, endorsed health certificate that travels with the animal(s) must be mailed back to you.
Before going to VEHCS: Scroll below this banner to view animal-specific requirements.

To process some health certificates, VEHCS may need the Accredited Veterinarian to upload the completed fillable PDF version found in the requirements section of this page. Either save a copy of the PDF below, or return to this page for the health certificate, if prompted by VEHCS.

Accredited Veterinarians, log in here if you wish to use VEHCS.
Accredited Veterinarians, help with using VEHCS is available on the VEHCS Help Page.
Learn how to issue a health certificate using VEHCS (A Step-by-step Guide).
NOTE: The endorsed health certificate (paper, not electronic) must accompany the shipment. The endorsed health certificate will be returned by mail (a pre-paid, pre-addressed return label must be provided during certificate submission).

The export of U.S. agricultural commodities to Iran, with some exceptions, are generally authorized by a General License issued by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

The General License for agricultural commodities can be found in 31 C.F.R. Part 560.530 and frequently asked questions can be found on the OFAC FAQs Iran Sanctions page, including specific guidance on live cattle, cattle embryo, shrimp, and shrimp eggs (see FAQs 361 and 366).

Exporters who wish to export agricultural commodities that are not covered by the General License may apply to OFAC for a specific license.  However, exporters should be aware that there are no bilaterally agreed upon trade protocols for the export of animal commodities.  Therefore, there may be limited recourse should a consignment be detained and/or denied entry.

Additional guidance on U.S. agricultural exports to Iran can be found here on the OFAC website.

For questions regarding U.S. sanctions, please contact the OFAC Licensing Division at +1-202-622-2480.


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known.  However, exporters wanting to ship livestock and/or germplasm, whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry.  This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content