Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE

Costa Rica

IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

"Green Banner" Country

Accredited Veterinarians can submit health certificates for USDA endorsement electronically through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).

This country accepts USDA digital endorsement. This means the final, endorsed health certificate that travels with the animal(s) can be printed out directly from VEHCS and does NOT have to be mailed back to you.

IMPORTANT: The endorsed health certificate (paper, not electronic) must accompany the shipment. The health certificate can be printed directly from VEHCS.

VEHCS Help  |  VEHCS Guide  |  VEHCS Login 



Note: Costa Rica does not require any statements about BSE on the bovine semen and embryo protocols.

Note: Costa Rica does not require any statements about BSE on the bovine semen and embryo protocols.

Sheep and Goats



Birds (non-Poultry)

Aquatic Animals

APHIS Registered Aquaculture Export Facility approval is required for tilapia and ornamental aquatic animals.

Note: Only those U.S. origin ornamental aquatic animal species listed in the PDF posted below (including marine fish, inland fish, invertebrates, coral and live food species) have market access and are approved for export from the United States to Costa Rica. Those who wish to export U.S. origin ornamental aquatic animal species that are not included on these posted lists will need to have their Costa Rican importer contact the National Animal Health Service of the Ministry of Agriculture of Costa Rica to request a special import permit.

Research / Laboratory Animals

Other Animals

Costa Rica Import Permit Information

Importers in Costa Rica must apply for an import permit. Importers may obtain an import permit at the following address:

Ministerio Agricultura y Ganaderia
Chief, Animal Quarantine
Apartado 10094
Barrial Heredia
San Jose - 1000
Costa Rica
Telephone: 011-506-238-2371
Facsimile: 011-506-237-7697


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known.  However, exporters wanting to ship livestock and/or germplasm, whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry.  This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content