Skip to main content
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE


IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

"Purple Banner" Country

Accredited Veterinarians can submit health certificates for electronic signature through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System).

Digital endorsement varies by species see requirements listed on this page for more information. 
The health certificate either bears the original ink signature and embossed seal or digital signature/seal.

IMPORTANT: The printed paper endorsed health certificate must accompany each shipment. For digitally endorsed health certificates, USDA Accredited Veterinarians can print the health certificate from VEHCS once it is endorsed. For non-digitally endorsed health certificates, you can arrange to have your endorsed health certificate returned via pick-up or by mail (a pre-paid, pre-addressed return label must be provided during certificate submission).

VEHCS Help  |  VEHCS Guide  |  VEHCS Login 

Note: Beijing is not currently allowing the importation of aquatic animals. Please arrange for aquatic animals to arrive at a different Chinese port of entry. Other animals are now allowed entry. 


Note: **Although this health certificate is available as a fillable PDF file, it must be submitted to APHIS for endorsement via the Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS). This means a hard copy of the health certificate and required supporting documents (e.g. test results) cannot be submitted by mail or in person for review and finalization. Click here for instructions on accessing VEHCS, and completing and submitting the health certificate and required supporting documents (as a PDF) to APHIS. When submitting a PDF file through VEHCS, it is preferred that the issuing Accredited Veterinarian sign the document using the ADOBE signature options, rather than printing, signing and scanning, for optimal quality resolution.


Note: (1) Only the below People’s Republic of China (PRC) health certificates are approved for bovine semen and embryos from USA to PRC. When filing the health certificate form, please use the Tab key to move from field to field. Do not use the Enter key.

The below protocols and health certificates are only intended for US-resident cattle producing semen and/or in vivo embryos.

Please note, before bovine semen and embryos are eligible for export, the collection facilities must be inspected by Chinese officials.

(2) Current List of China-Approved Bovine Embryo and Semen Collection and Production Facilities - January 2015 to Current


Note: As of March 9, 2011, China requires temporary attestation for novel A/H1N1 flu (additional document required). As of August 1, 2014, China requires negative PCR test results for porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDv) and porcine delta coronavirus (PDCoV) during quarantine (additional document required as of January 2022).



As of May 9, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the state of Washington.

As of February 15, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the state of Kentucky.

As of February 25, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the state of Delaware.

As of March 7, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the states of Maryland, Missouri, and South Dakota.

As of March 9, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the state of Iowa.

As of March 13, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the states of Kansas or Wisconsin.

As of March 25, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the states of Nebraska or Maine.

As of April 5, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the state of Texas.

As of April 11, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the states of Montana and Colorado.

As of April 18, 2022,China will not allow poultry from the states of Michigan, Idaho, Pennsylvania.

As of April 28, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the state of Utah.

As of May 2, 2022, China will not allow poultry from the state of Oklahoma.

China does not allow live poultry exports from U.S. states affected with HPAI in commercial poultry. Please modify health certificates to exclude all states currently banned, such as;

  1. The United States of America officially confirms that commercial chicken flocks are free from highly pathogenic Avian Influenza (except Indiana and Kentucky), viscerotropic velogenic Newcastle disease, and plague of gosling.

Note: For all of the above poultry health certificates, this format is required by AQSIQ.

Aquatic Animals

Only those U.S. origin aquatic animal species listed below have market access and are approved for export from the United States to China:

Those who wish to export U.S. origin aquatic species that are not included on the lists above will need to have their Chinese importer contact the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China (GACC) to request a special import permit. 

APHIS Registered Aquaculture Export Facility approval is required for export of U.S. origin aquatic animals to China, according to GACC.

U.S. origin crustaceans and finfish aquaculture facilities must also be included on China’s approval list in order for APHIS to endorse export health certificates: Annex 3 List of Registered Aquatic Animals Breeding Companies in the U.S. for Export to China

Note: When visiting the website listed above, do not translate the page into English, but click on the 4th line, 附件3 美国输华种用水生动物注册登记企业名单(20201116).docx

U.S. origin aquatic animals to China may use the “Health Certificate for the Export of Live Finfish, Mollusks, and Crustaceans (and their Gametes)” (VS Form 17-141) for export purposes: 

Research / Laboratory Animals

Note: For all of the above health certificates, this format is required by AQSIQ.

Other Animals

Note: This format is required by AQSIQ.


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known.  However, exporters wanting to ship livestock and/or germplasm, whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry.  This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content