Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE


IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

Save Time and Money with VEHCS!

"Green Banner" Country

Accredited Veterinarians can submit health certificates for USDA APHIS endorsement electronically through VEHCS (Veterinary Export Health Certification System). 

Plus, this country accepts USDA APHIS digital endorsement. This means the final, endorsed health certificate that travels with the animal(s) can be printed out directly from VEHCS and does NOT have to be mailed back to you.

Before going to VEHCS: Scroll below this banner to view animal-specific requirements.

To process some health certificates, VEHCS may need the Accredited Veterinarian to upload the completed fillable PDF version found in the requirements section of this page. Either save a copy of the PDF below, or return to this page for the health certificate, if prompted by VEHCS.

Accredited Veterinarians, log in here if you wish to use VEHCS.
Accredited Veterinarians, help with using VEHCS is available on the VEHCS Help Page.
Learn how to issue a health certificate using VEHCS (A Step-by-step Guide).
NOTE: The endorsed health certificate (paper, not electronic) must accompany the shipment. It can be printed out directly from VEHCS.

Brazil requests that imports of animals, semen, and embryos must be accompanied by a health certificate in Portuguese, as of August 1, 2003.


Note: The Shipment of the Animals page (VIII) for the horse health certificate listed above is signed by the Port Veterinarian at the time of embarkation.


Sheep and Goats



Note: The point of entry in the country will be restrained to the International Airport of Viracopos in the city of Campinas or Guarulhos due to the procedures that must be carried out while unshipping the material.  The point of entry must be the one authorized on the import permit. 

Annex 1: Poultry - Inspection Requirements of U.S. Poultry Farms to Register with Brazil for Export - Guidance Document

Annex 2: Poultry - Registration Form for Registering U.S. Poultry Facilities with Brazil for Export - Application

Note: This form, when completed and signed by the veterinarian completing the premise inspection, should be sent to staff in Riverdale, MD for delivery to MAPA.  Please call (301) 851-3300, Option 2 for more information.

Note: Exporters should verify if production facilities are included on the list of farms previously approved to export to Brazil.  MAPA keeps a list of approved facilities.  To add farms on the list please provide the following information to MAPA-DSA-CTQA through APHIS-VS: 

I – name and complete address of the qualified farm in the country of origin  
II – yearly production capacity of the qualified farm in the country of origin, and 
III – description of health control programs conducted at the breeding farm qualified for export, certified by the veterinary service of the country of origin.

Birds (non-Poultry)

Aquatic Animals

APHIS Registered Aquaculture Export Facility approval is required for shrimp, tilapia, and rainbow trout eggs.

Note: Testing must meet the requirements of the sampling protocol of the AFS Blue Book at the 5% APPL.

Note: Shipments of ornamental fish to Brazil require a VS Form 17-140, with the above addendum attached.  This addendum contains the necessary health statements for import into Brazil.

Other Animals

Research / Laboratory Animals


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known.  However, exporters wanting to ship livestock and/or germplasm, whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry.  This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content