Skip to main content


IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.


USDA Accredited Veterinarian Signature Original Ink
APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer Signature Original Ink

Details: Health certificates require original ink signatures from the issuing USDA Accredited Veterinarian and the endorsing APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer with the application of the APHIS embossed seal. Submissions through the online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS) cannot be accepted at this time.




Note: The following certification statements must appear on health certificate for swine and swine semen to Japan: "There has been no clinical evidence of PED on the premises of origin of the live swine animals for export for at least 12 months prior to the start of export isolation."  

Test requirements during export isolation: "PED: PCR test using fresh feces with negative result"

Note: As of September 24, 2014 additional requirements for PED must be included for swine semen.


Note: The following statement must appear on health certificates for live birds to Japan:

"The animals have not originated or transited through any State that is currently under a poultry ban by Japan."  

For current Japanese poultry bans visit:

 *domestic fowl, ducks, turkeys, quail, pheasant, guinea fowl and geese

Note: Containers and pallets must be sprayed and disinfected for poultry/ hatching eggs and day-old chicks for import and transit

Birds (non-Poultry)


Research /Lab Animals

Note: Japan has banned the importation of prairie dogs as of March 1, 2003

Other Animals


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship livestock whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry. This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content