Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, animal products, or to obtain a zoosanitary certificate for an animal product, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal or product will be exported, the area in which your office is located, or the area in which the product is manufactured.

Animal Products

Live Animals

Canada - Summary of Requirements for Animals

NOTE: Currently Canada is  not accepting any ruminants, camelids, horses, or swine originating from states currently affected with vesicular stomatitis virus or from states with premises currently under quarantined because of vesicular stomatitis virus.

For all ruminants, camelids, horses, and swine from states other than VSV affected states. the following supplementary certification is needed:

 "All states in which the animal(s) have resided in the past twenty-one (21) days were free from clinical and epidemiological evidence of vesicular stomatitis during the twenty-one (21) days immediately prior to export to Canada".

Canada's Automated Import Reference System is located at Internet address: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/imp/airse.shtml



Notice of recent and upcoming changes to requirements for export of breeding cattle to Canada

Testing options for brucellosis  have recently changed for exported breeding cattle to Canada, effective September 1st, 2017. Identification requirements will change, effective February 1st, 2018.

Effective for breeding cattle shipments arriving at the Canadian border on September 1, 2017 or after, exported cattle must be tested for brucellosis with the FPA test, the Buffered Acidified Plate Antigen (BAPA) test, or the Competitive Elisa (cElisa) test. On September 1st and after, the Standard Tube Test (STT) and Standard Plate Test (SPT) will no longer be accepted by CFIA at the border.

Effective for breeding cattle shipments arriving at the Canadian border on February 1st , 2018 or after, cattle must be identified with an NAIS-compliant “840” Radio Frequency (RF) tag, and a tattoo. The option of the Official USDA “metal” tag will no longer be accepted for exports of breeding cattle to Canada.

*If an 840 RFID tag is applied to an animal already tagged with an National Uniform Eartagging System (NUES) tag (e.g. USDA metal “brite” tag):

An eartag with an animal identification number (AIN) beginning with the 840 prefix (either radio frequency identification or visual-only tag) may be applied to an animal that is already officially identified with one or more National Uniform Eartagging System tags and/or an official vaccination eartag used for brucellosis. The person applying the AIN eartag must record the date the AIN tag is added and the official identification numbers of both official eartags and must maintain those records for 5 years.

*If an 840 RFID tag is applied to an animal already tagged with an AIN 840 “visual only” tag:

In specific cases when the need to maintain the identity of an animal is intensified (e.g., such as for export shipments, quarantined herds, field trials, experiments, or disease surveys), a State or Tribal animal health official or an area veterinarian in charge may approve the application of an additional official eartag to an animal that already has one or more. The person applying the additional official eartag must record the following information about the event and maintain the record for 5 years: The date the additional official eartag is added; the reason for the additional official eartag device; and the official identification numbers of both the new official eartag and the one(s) already attached to the animal.

(9CFR 86.4)

Certificates for breeding cattle to Canada (IREGS and VEHCS) will be updated accordingly. CFIA will put notification of identification requirements on all import permits.

* A health certificate for this commodity can also be generated through the Veterinary Export Health Certificate System (https://pcit.aphis.usda.gov/pcit/).

Note: CFIA does not recognize the gamma interferon test as valid replacement of the comparative cervical test. Until further notice, if an animal responds to a CFT in a group of cattle for export to Canada, then that responder may only be tested with a CCT, and must be cleared by CCT, before the other animals are eligible for export to Canada.

Sheep and Goats


Other Ruminants

Effective April 1, 2014, Canada is removing import requirements that relate to anaplasmosis.  The changes come into effect April 1, 2014

When a negative test for anaplasmosis is required for the import of US ruminants into Canada, the cELISA test, using the VMRD, Inc. Anaplasma Antibody Kit, carried out in a US federal laboratory or a USDA-approved laboratory is accepted as an approved test. Confirmatory testing in Canada is done using the cELISA only.

Aquatic Animals

Link to USDA-APHIS approved laboratories

Annex 1 - Diagnostic Methods for Exports to Canada - December 2012 (pdf 17kb)

Annex 2 - Sample Collection - December 2012 (pdf 51kb)


  • Honeybees - Protocol for Hawaii - April 2011 (pdf 17kb)
  • Honeybees - Health Certificate for Hawaii - April 2011 (pdf 32kb)
  • Honeybees - Protocol for Cont. US - February 2011 (pdf 15kb)
  • Honeybees - Health Certificate for Cont. US - February 2011 (pdf 41kb)

Horses: there are only TWO classifications of U.S. origin live horses destined for Canada:

  • Horses (breeding/rearing/competition/racing) **PLEASE NOTE: this option includes all horses entering Canada for purposes other than slaughter. All horses traveling as personal pets, for recreation, etc. are included in this option, regardless of intention for use as a breeding animal**

                                                           USDA Health certificate options:

    1. Paper certificate (mail-in) – Protocol and Fillable Health CertificateAdditional Animal Identification Table Page (if needed)- Additional Animal Photo Page (if needed)- November 2016


    2. Create and submit certificate online- use electronic submission

      PLEASE NOTE: When submitting certificates for live horses (non-slaughter) to Canada through VEHCS, please select the intended use of breeding/rearing OR competition/racing. The breeding/rearing option includes all horses traveling as personal pets, for recreation, etc., regardless of intention for use as a breeding animal. Certificates for live horses to Canada submitted with the “intended use not listed” option will be returned to the submitter for correction and may result in a delay in shipment.

    • Other Notes:

      • In addition to the fillable form and online submission, Canada will also accept both the VS 17-145 and VS 17-140 forms (these forms require an addendum to include all necessary statements for Canada) for shipments.

      • For Canadian horses returning to Canada on a Canadian health certificate, a supplemental certification document will be provided by the CFIA endorsing office when advised of intended return. The supplemental certification will need to be attached to the Canadian health certificate after completion and endorsed by USDA before return of the horse(s) to Canada. Canadian horses returning to Canada exported to the United States for exhibition or pleasure purposes require an Owner's Declaration included in the supplemental certification. The Owner's Declaration does not need to be endorsed by USDA.

      • For information about U.S. horses transiting to/from Alaska from the lower 48, including horses transiting through Canada, click here.

      • Addendum to Health Certificate for Temporary Export of Horses to the European Union Intended for Re-export to Canada in Less Than 60 Days -April 2017 (pdf 50kb)

    • In addition to the fillable form, Canada will also accept both the VS 17-145 and VS 17-140 forms (these forms require an addendum to include all necessary statements for Canada) for shipments.

    • Effective January 31, 2010, Canada published (in their web site) new requirements and information for equine owners for equines intended to slaughter.

    • An Equine Certification Document signed by a Veterinarian accredited in the USA must accompany live equine imported from the USA for slaughter. Click here for the Equine Certification Document.

    • Effective January 1, 2012, all shipments of feeder and slaughter horses entering Canada from the United States by ground transportation will be required to proceed through designated ports of entry.  Shipments will only be accepted during the CFIA's regular hours of operation. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is implementing the new measures to verify that horses are being humanely transported in accordance with the Health of Animals Regulation   

    • Designated Border Ports of Entry for Feeder and Slaughter Horses Entering Canada from the United States can be found at: http://inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/trans/20111031inde.shtml

* A health certificate for this commodity can also be generated through the Veterinary Export Health Certificate System (https://pcit.aphis.usda.gov/pcit/).


Canada is now implementing the following requirements for brucellosis in swine:

Brucellosis test requirements: Fluorescence Polarization Assay (FPA) or other test approved by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for this purpose. The tests are performed in a laboratory that is approved to perform the test by the official veterinary service of the country of export. The results of the brucellosis test (including the type of test performed) are shown on the required health certificate for the animal to be imported.     

 * A health certificate for this commodity can also be generated through the Veterinary Export Health Certificate System (https://pcit.aphis.usda.gov/pcit/).

Poultry and other Avian Species

Effective March 7 2017, Due to HPAI , Canada will not accept Live Poultry and hatching eggs from the following control zone -The area of control consists of a 10 kilometer radius zone immediate surrounding the infected premises. The control area is in Franklin and Lincoln counties in Tennessee and small portions of Madison and Jackson counties in Alabama. The following zip codes are included in the control zone – 37335, 37345, and 37328.

Effective immediately, all certificates for export of live birds and hatching eggs to Canada must contain the following statement:


"I, the undersigned, salaried veterinarian of the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), after due inquiry and to the best of my knowledge, do hereby certify that the poultry/birds/hatching eggs covered by the certificate number (insert number here) do not originate from nor have had contact with any animal, animal product or animal by-product of a susceptible species from a zone not recognized by the CFIA as free of HPAI."


This statement may be included as an addendum to the certificate, and must be signed by the endorsing APHIS veterinarian.

* A health certificate for this commodity can also be generated through the Veterinary Export Health Certificate System (https://pcit.aphis.usda.gov/pcit/).

Other Animals

Informative notes:

As of July 15, 2010, Canada is lifting its restrictions on entry of all rabbits (including pet rabbits) from the State of Minnesota. Rabbits from the United States are now authorized to enter Canada.

Commercial Dogs


  • Camelids - Protocol and Health Certificate -  May 2015 (pdf 49kb)


For more information about exporting your pets click here

 For species not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship livestock or germplasm whose requirements are not listed in the IREGS, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry. This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content