Skip to main content

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
USDA FAQ's and resources about coronavirus (COVID-19).  LEARN MORE


IRegs for LIVE Animals

Notice: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements for exporting animals, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from which the animal will be exported, the area in which your office is located.

This country allows USDA Accredited Veterinarians to use USDA’s online Veterinary Export Health Certification System (VEHCS) to complete health certificates.

Save Time and Money!
USDA Accredited Veterinarian Signature Electronic Signature Accepted
USDA APHIS Veterinary Medical Officer Signature Digital Endorsement Accepted
The health certificate bears digital signature/seal
Before going to VEHCS: Scroll below this banner to view animal-specific requirements.

To process some health certificates, VEHCS may need the USDA Accredited Veterinarian to upload the completed fillable PDF version found below. Either save a copy of the PDF below, or return to this page for the health certificate, if prompted by VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, log in here if you wish to use VEHCS.
USDA Accredited Veterinarians, help with using VEHCS is available on the VEHCS Help Page. To walk yourself through issuing a health certificate in VEHCS, click here.
NOTE: The printed paper endorsed health certificate must accompany each shipment. USDA Accredited Veterinarians can print the health certificate from VEHCS once it is endorsed.

Brazil requests that imports of animals, semen, and embryos must be accompanied by a health certificate in Portuguese, as of August 1, 2003.


Note: The Shipment of the Animals page (VIII) for the horse health certificate listed above is signed by the Port Veterinarian at the time of embarkation.


Sheep and Goats



Note: The point of entry in the country will be restrained to the International Airport of Viracopos in the city of Campinas or Guarulhos due to the procedures that must be carried out while unshipping the material.  The point of entry must be the one authorized on the import permit. 

Annex 1: Poultry - Inspection Requirements of U.S. Poultry Farms to Register with Brazil for Export - Guidance Document

Annex 2: Poultry - Registration Form for Registering U.S. Poultry Facilities with Brazil for Export - Application

Note: This form, when completed and signed by the veterinarian completing the premise inspection, should be sent to staff in Riverdale, MD for delivery to MAPA.  Please call (301) 851-3300, Option 2 for more information.

Note: Exporters should verify if production facilities are included on the list of farms previously approved to export to Brazil.  MAPA keeps a list of approved facilities.  To add farms on the list please provide the following information to MAPA-DSA-CTQA through APHIS-VS: 

I – name and complete address of the qualified farm in the country of origin  
II – yearly production capacity of the qualified farm in the country of origin, and 
III – description of health control programs conducted at the breeding farm qualified for export, certified by the veterinary service of the country of origin.           

Birds (non-Poultry)

Aquatic Animals

APHIS Registered Aquaculture Export Facility approval is required for shrimp, tilapia, and rainbow trout eggs.

Note: Testing must meet the requirements of the sampling protocol of the AFS Blue Book at the 5% APPL.

Note: Shipments of ornamental fish to Brazil require a VS Form 17-140, with the above addendum attached.  This addendum contains the necessary health statements for import into Brazil.

Other Animals


Visit the APHIS Pet Travel Website for information about exporting your pets.

For species not listed, the requirements are not known.  However, exporters wanting to ship livestock and/or germplasm, whose requirements are not listed above, should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the country of destination apply for an Import Permit at the appropriate ministry.  This Import Permit will most likely outline the specific requirements.

Complementary Content