APHIS Services for the Aquaculture Industry
Services for Aquatic Plant Protection
- Preventing the importation and dissemination of plant pests and diseases and undesirable aquatic weeds into and throughout the United States
- Controlling undesirable aquatic plants in the United States
- Helping to develop pest and disease control methodology, including use of biocontrol organisms
For more information about aquatic plant control programs, contact the APHIS Plant Protection and Quarantine program at (301) 851-2224.
Aquatic Animal Health Activities
- Providing certain diagnostic assistance to aquaculture producers experiencing health problems in their products
- Working with the Department of the Interior's U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), the U.S. Department of Commerce's National Marine Fisheries Service, and members of the Joint Subcommittee on Aquaculture (JSA) to disseminate information and outline agency roles to best meet the aquaculture industry's animal health needs.
- Endorsing animal health certifications for the exportation of live aquatic species and their products
- Developing aquatic animal health monitoring and surveillance programs
For more information about aquatic animal health services, contact Veterinary Services at (301) 851-3300.
Veterinary Biologics for Fish
- Licensing domestic manufacturers of veterinary biologics to ensure that these products are pure, safe, potent, and effective
- Testing fish biologics at APHIS' Center for Veterinary Biologics (CVB)
- Issuing import permits for veterinary biologics produced in other countries
- Inspecting veterinary biologics production facilities, methods, and records
- Developing test methods, as well as references and reagents, and overseeing prelicensing field trials
- Establishing and enforcing regulations for interstate movement of veterinary biologics
- Issuing documents to meet foreign countries' requirements for accepting export shipments of veterinary biologics produced by U.S. manufacturers
- Issuing permits for the importation of organisms and vectors used for master seed and biologics research
- Licensing veterinary biologics for the prevention, diagnosis, and/or treatment of disesease of aquatic animals
- Investigating consumer complaints regarding biologics used in aquaculture
For more information about veterinary biologics programs or available products, contact the APHIS VS Center for Veterinary Biologics at (515) 232-5785. The Veterinary Biologics Consumer Information Hotline number is (515) 232-5789 or (800) 752-6255.
Wildlife Damage Management Assistance and Activities
- Recommending and/or providing wildlife exclusion or scaring devices
- Conducting winter cormorant population censuses
- Conducting surveys of fish-eating birds to determine population distribution and movements
- Conducting wildlife food habits studies
- Conducting ecological and behavioral studies on fish-eating birds
- Working onsite with producers to set up integrated control
- Assisting with migratory bird depredation permit applications
- Conducting onsite workshops and seminars on bird control
- Developing factsheets, videos, and other publications on control and management of wildlife damage
- members of the Joint Subcommittee on Aquaculture to define agency roles and industry needs for protection of aquaculture products from wildlife damage
- Working with FWS and State wildlife agencies to jointly develop bird damage management plans to protect aquaculture products while ensuring the continued viability of bird populations
For more information about bird depredation control, contact APHIS' Wildlife Services at (301) 851-4004.