BRS regulates the importation, interstate movement, and
environmental release of organisms developed through genetic engineering, that
may be plant pests.
Applying for BRS Permits in APHIS eFile
For questions related to applying for permits for organisms developed or modified using genetic engineering in the APHIS eFile system, please contact: BRS.eFile@usda.gov
- BRS Permit Status, and Requests for Labels and/or Letters of No Permit Required
If you have already applied for a BRS permit or notification and would like to inquire about the status, or obtain your labels, or Letter of No Permit Required, please contact: BRSPermits@usda.gov.
- Questions on Permitting Requirements for Organisms Developed Using Genetic Engineering
For general regulatory questions regarding the permitting process for importation, interstate movement, and environmental release of organisms developed through genetic engineering, that may pose a pest risk to plants, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions about the Confirmation Request
The Confirmation Process allows developers to request a confirmation from APHIS that a modified plant is exempt from the regulations in 7 CFR part 340. Please review the Guidance for Requesting a Confirmation and then send your request letter via email to: BRS.ConfirmationRequest@usda.gov.
- Compliance Questions, Incident Reporting, and Submission of
For questions about our compliance and inspection process and requirements, to report a compliance incident, or to submit a required report associated with a permit or notification, send an e-mail to: BRScompliance@usda.gov.
- Support Complying with Biotechnology Regulations
The Biotechnology Quality Management Support (BQMS) Program provides participants with the tools and guidance to better maintain compliance with APHIS biotechnology regulations, 7 CFR part 340. Developers and researchers who would like assistance learning how to comply with our regulations are encouraged to contact us at: BRS.BQMS@usda.gov.
- BRS Headquarters: (301) 851-3877
- Media Inquiries: APHIS Legislative and Public Affairs, (301) 851-4100
- Questions on Regulatory Requirements or Application Status for GE Organisms: (301) 851-3913 or (301) 851-3874
- BRS Compliance: (301) 851-3935, by fax at: (301) 734-8910
Biotechnology Regulatory Services (BRS)
4700 River Road, Unit 146
Riverdale, MD 20737
Directions to APHIS Headquarters