BRS regulates the
importation, interstate movement, and environmental release of genetically
engineered (GE) organisms that may be plant pests.
- BRS Permit Status, and Requests for Labels
and/or Letters of No Jurisdiction
If you have already applied for a BRS permit or notification and would like to inquire about the status, or obtain your labels, or Letter of No Jurisdiction, please contact: BRSPermits@usda.gov.
- Questions on Permitting Requirements for GE
For general regulatory questions regarding the permitting process for importation, interstate movement, and environmental release of GE organisms that may pose a pest risk to plants, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions on Regulatory Requirements for New
GE Organisms (Am I Regulated Process)
The Am I Regulated (AIR) process allows developers to inquire if their GE product currently in the research phase or newly developed using modern techniques of biotechnology, such as those sometimes referred to as new plant breeding techniques, meet the APHIS definition of a regulated article. For example, product developed using CRISR-Cas9, TALENS and other modern techniques. Please review the AIR instructions and then send your AIR letter of inquiry via e-mail to: AIRinquiry@aphis.usda.gov
- Compliance Questions, Incident Reporting, and Submission of Reports
For questions about our compliance and inspection process and requirements, to report a compliance incident, or to submit a required report associated with a permit or notification, send an e-mail to: BRScompliance@usda.gov.
- Support Complying with Biotechnology
The Biotechnology Quality Management Support (BQMS) Program provides participants with the tools and guidance to better maintain compliance with APHIS biotechnology regulations, 7 CFR part 340. Developers and researchers who would like assistance learning how to comply with our regulations are encouraged to contact us at: BRS.BQMS@usda.gov.
- BRS Headquarters: (301) 851-3877
- Media Inquiries: APHIS Legislative and Public Affairs, (301) 851-4100
- Questions on Regulatory Requirements or Application Status for GE Organisms: (301) 851-3886
- BRS Compliance: (301) 851-3935, by fax at: (301) 734-8910
Biotechnology Regulatory Services (BRS)
4700 River Road, Unit 146
Riverdale, MD 20737
Directions to APHIS Headquarters