Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)

Import Procedures for Importing Pet Birds from Canada

Due to recent changes in the health status of birds located in control zones established  in Canada due to avian influenza,  the following  is now required of all pet birds importing from Canada via land, air and ocean ports of entry.

The USDA defines pet birds as those that are imported for personal pleasure of their individual owners and are not intended for resale.

  Land Port Air/Ocean Port
Import Permit (VS Form 17-129)  Required Required
Veterinary Health Certificate ( if transiting or originating in control zones established because of avian influenza, Canada-only)  Required  Required
Quarantine: for transits, or if originating from control zones established because of avian influenza, Canada-only) - 30 days Required Required
Veterinary Inspection upon Entry Required Required


Control Zones:

Control Zone: Includes municipalities involved in Oxford County which are Norwich, South-West Oxford, Ingersoll, Zorra, East-Zorra, Tavistock, and Woodstock. Postal codes starting with NOJ, NOM, N4S, N4T, N5C are applicable

Additional municipalities in Oxford County (Southwest Ontario): Road Boundaries

Township Rd 4, west from where it crosses Highway 401 to Blandford Road.

North on Blandford Road from Twnshp Rd 4 to Oxford‐Waterloo Road.

East on Oxford‐Waterloo Road from Blandford Road to Walker Road

North on Walker Road from Oxford‐Waterloo Road to Bridge St

East on Bridge St from Walker Road to Puddicombe Road

North on Puddicombe Road from Bridge St to Bethel Road

East on Bethel Road from Puddicombe road to Queen Street

South on Queen Street from Bethel Road to Bridge street

East on Bridge Street from Queen Street to Trussler Road

Trussler Road south from Bridge Street to Oxford Road 8

Oxford Road 8 east from Trussler Road to Northumberland Street

South on Northumberland St from Oxford Road 8, continuing as Swan Street/Ayr Road to Brant

Waterloo Road

West on Brant Waterloo Road from Swan St / Ayr Road to Trussler Road

South on Trussler Road from Brant Waterloo Road to Township Road 5

West on Township Road 5 from Trussler Road to Blenheim Road

South on Blenheim Road from Township Road 5 to Township Road 3

West on Township Road 3 from Blenheim Road to Oxford Road 22

North on Oxford Road 22 from Township Road 3 to Township Road 4

West on Township Road 4 from Oxford Road 22 to Highway 401

Import Process

Importing Pet Birds at U.S.-Canadian Land Border Ports

Pet birds imported from Canada through any of the designated U.S.-Canadian land border ports are subject to veterinary inspection at the port of entry. The importer must contact the port at least 3 to 5 days prior to entry in order to assure the availability of a port veterinarian. (Most land border ports are not routinely staffed by a full-time port veterinarian, and the hours of service and availability for veterinary inspections vary from port to port.) Eligible land border ports of entry are listed below:

Alexandria Bay, NY (315) 482-2601
Baudette, MN (218) 634-2661
Champlain, NY ( 518) 298-2191
Derby Line, VT (802) 873-9338
Detroit, MI (313) 226-4428
Dunseith, ND (701) 263-3364
Eastport, ID (208) 267-2396
Highgate Springs, VT (802) 868-2556
Houlton, ME (207) 532-6099
Jackman, ME (207) 287-3701
Lewiston Bridge, NY (716) 297-6203
Oroville, WA (509) 476-2635
Pembina, ND (701) 825-6262
Port Huron, MI (810) 985-5433
Portal, ND (701) 926-4281
Raymond/Opheim, MT (406) 286-5258
Sault Ste. Marie, MI (906) 647-6512
Sumas, WA (360) 988-5715
Sweetgrass, MT (406) 335-2142

Upon veterinary inspection at the port of entry, the birds must be found free of clinical signs of communicable diseases of birds and poultry. The owner must sign a declaration stating that the birds are healthy and have been in his or her possession for a minimum of 90 days preceding the date of importation, and that during such time, the birds have not been in contact with poultry or other birds (i.e., in association with other avian species at exhibitions or in aviaries). A user fee, based on the current hourly rate, will also be collected at this time. Current hourly rates can be found here.

Attention Canadian Drivers returning from Mexico:

Canadian birds who are reentering the U.S. from Mexico will have to undergo a 30 day quarantine in order to be driven back through the U.S.

Therefore, it is recommended that they be flown back. If the fight lands at an U.S. airport, then they will need a Transit Permit. The application form, VS Form 17-129, should be submitted fourteen days prior to the flight to the Riverdale fax number below.

Pet Birds from Canada into U.S. Air or Ocean Ports of Entry

Those importing pet birds into the United States from Canada by air or by boat are required to have a USDA import permit (VS Form 17-129), and a veterinary health certificate.  These birds must also be inspected by a USDA veterinarian at the air or ocean port of entry, as described above. The importers are required to contact the port veterinarian at the phone number listed on the import permit at least 72 hours in advance of arrival to arrange for a veterinary inspection. (Most airports are not routinely staffed by a full-time port veterinarian, and the hours of service and availability for veterinary inspections vary from port to port.) Any pet bird originating from or which transited through HPAI control zones of Ontario, Canada will be required to go into quarantine.

The current cost of the import permit can be found here. The application form (VS Form 17-129) may be downloaded from the Internet, or you may contact the:

National Import and Export Services
4700 River Road, Unit 39
Riverdale, MD 20737
(301) 851-3300 telephone
(301) 734-4704 fax

Fish and Wildlife Service Permit Information

In the United States, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) regulates the importation of birds protected by the Convention on International trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and the Wild Bird Conservation Act of 1992 (WBCA). These regulations are part of international conservation effort to protect exotic wild birds subject to trade. Most exotic pet birds including parrots, parakeets, macaws, lories, and cockatoos are affected by CITES and the WBCA. However, the budgerigar, cockatiel, and rose-ringed parakeets and peach-faced lovebirds are exempt.

According to the WBCA, in order to import a pet bird of non-U.S. origin into the United States, you must have continuously resided outside of the United States for at least one year. In addition, the WBCA limits the number of pet birds that can be imported to two birds per person, per year. All required WBCA and CITES permits must accompany the bird while in transit.

Please visit the FWS web site at: http://permits.fws.gov/ to obtain more information and the permit application. If you have questions you can contact the FWS at (800) 358-2104. Overseas calls should be placed to (703) 358-2104.

How to Contact Us

If you need additional information about importing pet birds into the United States, please contact us:

National Import and Export Services
4700 River Road, Unit 39
Riverdale, MD 20737
(301) 851-3300 telephone
(301) 734-4704 fax