Workabeba (Abby) Yigzaw (301) 851-4096
Suzanne Bond (301) 851-4070
Secretary Vilsack Appoints Members to Advisory Committee on Animal Health
WASHINGTON, Aug. 1, 2013 - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today announced the members of the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Animal Health. The following individuals have been appointed to serve on the committee through August 21, 2014.
- Ms. Stacey M. Evans, American Bar Association vice chair for the animal law committee from Maryland/Washington, DC
- Dr. John R. Fischer, a wildlife veterinarian from Georgia
- Dr. Wayne R. Freese, a veterinarian in swine health and preventative medicine and biologics consultant from Minnesota
- Mr. Adam D. Hater, a general manager of Jones Fish Hatcheries and Distributors, Inc. from Ohio
- Dr. Donald E. Hoenig, former Maine State Veterinarian
- Dr. Annette B. Jones, State Veterinarian and Director of Animal Health and Food Safety Services from California
- Dr. Karen R. Jordan, an owner-manager of Brush Creek Swiss Farms and Large Veterinary Services from North Carolina
- Ms. Mary Ann Kniebel, a rancher and feedlot nutritionist from Kansas
- Ms. Judith I. McGeary, an agricultural law attorney and sustainable farmer from Texas
- Dr. David L. Meeker, a senior vice president of the National Renderers Association from Virginia
- Dr. Edmund Orok-Edem, a public health veterinarian from New York
- Dr. Boyd H. Parr, State Veterinarian from South Carolina at Clemson University
- Dr. Willie M. Reed, Dean of Purdue’s School of Veterinary Medicine from Indiana
- Dr. G. Donald Ritter, a veterinarian and Director of Health Services from Maryland
- Dr. David R. Smith, an expert in epidemiology and preventative veterinary medicine with the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Mr. Gilles Stockton, a ranch operator and farmer from Montana
- Mr. R. Scott Stuart, CEO of National Livestock Producers Association from Colorado
- Mr. Brian D. Thomas, a cattle producer on Duck Valley Reservation from Nevada
- Dr. Elizabeth K. Wagstrom, Chief Veterinarian for National Pork Producers Council from Minnesota
- Dr. Cindy B. Wolf, a sheep and cattle farmer and small ruminant specialist from Minnesota
The committee will provide public and industry perspectives on USDA strategies, policies, and programs to prevent, control and/or eradicate animal health diseases. The Committee will also lead broader dialogue on public health concerns and the stability of the livestock economies.
The committee's next meeting will take place in the coming months. A Federal Register notice will be posted prior to the meeting and will include the meeting date, details and topics for discussion. Information will also be available on the APHIS website at: www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/acah/index2.shtml.
# # #
Note to Reporters: USDA news releases, program announcements and media advisories are available on the Internet and through Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW., Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).