Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)


Animal Product Export Regulations

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the procedures and requirements to obtain a zoosanitary certificate for an animal product being exported, you should contact the VS Field Office covering the area from where the product will be exported (or the area in which your office is located).

Exporters are advised that the forms linked below are to be submitted to the endorsing office electronically by email after preparation consistent with the Special instructions for exporters regarding the preparation of the new VS forms. Exporters should contact the endorsing office officials regarding the correct email address to use and the proper formatting of emails so that the process flows well. If submission by email is not possible, exporters should contact endorsing office officials to discuss alternatives. Prior to endorsement, APHIS prints the forms on special VS Security Paper.

VS Form 16-4 (pdf 29kb)

VS Form 16-4A (pdf 25kb)

Combined VS form 16-4 and VS form 16-4A - (pdf 31kb)

Special instructions for exporters regarding the preparation of the new VS forms - September 2011

Prior to utilizing these forms, users should ensure Adobe Reader Version 9.0 (or above) is installed on their computer. Version 9.0 (or above) is necessary to ensure that the forms open and function optimally. Any Adobe software (Reader, Standard, or Professional) may be utilized as long as it is version 9.0 or above.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Veterinary Services (VS) has created the International Animal Product Export Regulations (IREGS) to provide exporters with our best understanding of importing countries requirements for certain animal-origin products.

Countries may change their import requirements without notice. In all cases, the exporter has the responsibility of having their importer confirm with the Ministry of Animal Health in the importing country the certification requirements prior to shipping. The exporter should obtain any required certificates prior to shipping. Most countries will not accept certificates issued after consignments have shipped. The availability of APHIS endorsement of certificates should not be assumed until after consultation with the pertinent VS Field Office

Exporters are responsible for confirming prior to shipment that they have all certification required for the consignment.

The primary role of APHIS, VS in the certification of animal products for export is to provide certification about the animal health status of the region of origin of the product. If other certifications are required, APHIS, VS may not be the Agency authorized to provide the required export certificate.


A. Dairy Products

The USDA, Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are the agencies primarily responsible for the certification of dairy products exported for human consumption. (APHIS, VS may provide certification in certain circumstances.)

AMS can be contacted at:

Dairy Standardization
Agricultural Marketing Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
P.O. Box 96456
Washington, DC 20009
Phone: 202-720-3171
Fax: 202-720-2643

B. Meat and meat products; processed egg products bearing the FSIS mark of inspection

The USDA, Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is responsible for export certification of meat and some meat products, as well as many processed egg products (such as pasteurized eggs), for human consumption.

Export Programs Division
Office of International Affairs
Phone: 202-720-0082

C. Aquaculture and fish products

The U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is the primary agency responsible for providing certification for seafood, fish meal, and fish oil. The FDA may also certify some seafood products, such as blocks of frozen fish.

These agencies can be contacted as follows:

NOAA Seafood Certification Program:
U.S. Department of Commerce/NOAA Fisheries
1315 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Phone 301-427-8300 or Toll Free 800-422-2750

NOAA Fish Meal Program:
Fish Meal Program Manager
National Marine Fisheries Service
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
P.O. Drawer 1207
Pascagoaula, MS 39567
Phone: 228-762-7402 ext. 312
Fax: 228-762-9200

FDA Office of Seafood:
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Harvey W. Wiley Federal Building
5100 Paint Branch Parkway, Room 3C097
College Park, MD 20740-3835
Phone: 301-436-2300

D. Table eggs and other egg products not bearing the FSIS mark of inspection

The USDA, AMS is the Agency that endorses export certificates for table eggs and certain other egg products (for human consumption).

USDA, Agricultural Marketing Service
Poultry Division-Grading Branch
P.O. Box 96456
South Agricultural Building
Washington, DC 20090-6456
Phone: 202-720-4411
Fax: 202-690-3165

E. Honey and other Products of Apiculture for Human Consumption

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) are responsible for the certification of honey and other products of apiculture for human consumption. For more information, please contact:

U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Martin Stutsman
Phone: 240-402-1642


Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS)
Phone: 202-720-4693 or 202-720-5870

F. Plant and Plant Products

The APHIS Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) is the Agency responsible for certification of certain plant products. For more information, please go to the "Plant Export" section of their website at: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_exports/

For contact information for a PPQ Plant Export Specialist near you, please go to the following section of their website at: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_exports/ecs/

G. CITES Documentation

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is the Agency responsible for providing CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) certification. If CITES documentation is required, exporters should contact the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

International Regulations by Country

For countries not listed, the requirements are not known. However, exporters wanting to ship animal products should have the interested party (importer/buyer) in the destination country contact the appropriate ministry for the specific requirements.


Additional Information