A web-based process has been developed for completing the exit survey online and abolished the use of the paper exit interview questionnaire provided in the previous version of this subchapter (4/99).
The exit survey was established to give employees the opportunity to communicate reasons for leaving, their perceptions of the work environment, and their overall satisfaction while working at APHIS, AMS, or GIPSA. It will also serve as a tool to assist in analyzing trends and to help identify potential retention issues. Data obtained from employees leaving the organization provides information critical to:
- Assess workplace deficiencies;
- Enhance the work environment;
- Improve employee retention; and,
- Achieve a diverse workforce through workforce planning.
Through this online survey, the Office of Personnel Management collects the data and the answers to the survey will be kept completely confidential and no individual responses will be made available to anyone.
Exit surveys are to be given to separating employees. For this purpose, a separating employee is exclusively defined as:
- An employee who is leaving voluntarily (retirement or resignation);
- An employee who transfers either to another Federal agency or an agency/bureau within the Department;
- An employee whose term or temporary appointment is ending; and,
- An employee who is separated due to organizational change or reduction in force (RIF).
Employees outside of the categories defined above should not complete an exit survey.
| Supervisors Responsibilities
- Be responsible for notifying employees of the online exit survey one (1) week prior to departure;
- Instruct departing employees to contact the Exit Survey Coordinator to obtain a username and password;
- Inform employees of the importance of data obtained from the online exit survey and ensure that all staff members are aware of the exit survey process; and,
- Review the survey data and when appropriate use the results to establish action plans to achieve a diverse workforce and improve the overall work environment.
| Human Resources Responsibilities
Human Resources will:
- Provide guidance on completing the exit survey;
- Include exit survey information in the separation packages mailed to departing employees to ensure they are given another opportunity to complete the survey if unable prior to departure;
- Analyze survey data and utilize the results to assist programs with future workforce planning;
- Share summary data with appropriate agency officials;
- Prepare and distribute quarterly and fiscal year end reports as necessary and appropriate; and,
- Maintain confidentiality of exit survey data.
| Civil Rights Offices Responsibilities
Civil Rights Offices will:
- Use results of exit analyses as a factor in establishing agency action plans to achieve a diverse workforce within applicable laws and to improve the work environment; and,
- Provide interpretation and advice to agency management officials on how to address issues, comments and opinions provided by exiting employees.
| Employees’ Role
||Departing employees are encouraged to complete the exit survey. Responses assist in the developing trend analysis and evaluating overall employee retention issues.
In order to ensure that departing employees are notified of the exit survey, the following procedures will be utilized:
- Supervisors or assigned designees will provide the Exit Survey Coordinator with the departing employee’s name;
- The Exit Survey Coordinator will provide the departing employees with access to the link;
- If the departing employee doesnot have internet capabilities he/she can request a hard copy by contacting the Exit Survey Coordinator at 202-799-7082 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, and return to the following address:
Attn: Human Resources Planning Branch
1400 Independence Ave. SW, Room 1719-S
Washington, DC 20250
| Contacts for Assistance
|For more information on the Exit Survey process or use of the data, please contact:
||Exit Survey Coordinator
|Civil Rights Representatives:
||Equal Employment Specialist
||Manager, Program Evaluations
||Equal Employment Specialist